Button covers

The LCD and Keypad Shield gives you a handy 16-character by 2-line display, 5 buttons and a controllable backlight.
farmgeek

Button covers

Post by farmgeek » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 pm

I really like the LCD shield and can see a lot of potential for using it with a laser-cut enclosure from Ponoko (the flush-top header pins was a great idea, even if it makes prototyping more difficult).

Can anyone suggest button covers that I can use to extend the button height up through an enclosure?

Thanks for a well-made and very usable product!

John

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Button covers

Post by jonoxer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:37 pm

I don't know of any commercially-available button covers, but it seems like they should be available somewhere.

Sounds like a job for a Makerbot! Any takers?
--
Jon (@jonoxer)

adr1an

Post by adr1an » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:40 am

I am in a similar position of requiring a solution for the buttons, so please share any commercially available.

My solution in the meantime - I've grabbed a putty based 'make a cast' mold making kit from a local craft store along with some Polymorph from Jaycar. I intend to 'borrow the size and shape' of some appropriately shaped buttons that I'm after and then whilst the Polymorph is still soft also wedge the mold onto the metal posts - thus hopefully forming a custom button.

I will be sure to post some pictures of the results when I attempt it later in the week...

Ado

farmgeek

Post by farmgeek » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks John, I'll keep looking and update if I find them (I'm sure I saw some once on Sparkfun in a kit but do you think I can find them?).

I did think about printing some on my Makerbot but small circular objects are really hard to print at a high enough quality.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:21 am

John,

try looking at "Home :: Basic parts :: Button and Switcher" at http://iteadstudio.com/store/
(Btw, I think that's meant to be 'Buttons and Switches').

Or, here's another http://www.voltelectronics.com.au/new-p ... -22mm.html

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:26 pm

If you look into hobby stores or model stores, you should be able to find straight, very narrow, round aluminium (or copper or brass) tube. You should be able to choose the right diameter and cut it to length, and then press it over the existing round metal actuators on the tactile switches and have it fit snugly with an interference fit (if the diameter is just right).

andrewduncan

Post by andrewduncan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

I looked around for ideas for button covers for the lcdshield and came up with the following.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330625284194

These are small alloy caps for putting on the end of bicycle gear and brake cables. These ones are quite nice as they are black anodized. They fit nicely over the metal buttons on the lcdshield. I haven't completed making the button covers yet. I have just cut one down with a dremel. I intend to then glue a small piece of wire into the cap to take up some of the empty space inside the cap. I am not sure how I will attached them to the buttons. I might glue them, but I would prefer a reversible solution. I will add more photographs when I have completed my project.
lcdshield_buttons.jpg

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31 am

I like that: looking at something designed for a totally different purpose, and seeing in it a possible solution to your problem. Just goes to show we should keep our eyes and minds open!
--
Jon

eedjut

Post by eedjut » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:35 am

How about using the heat shrink tubing from Jaycar (etc)? Cut short length(s) and heat with a hair dryer to get a good fit. Could build up size of "button" by using more than one size of tube. Experiment with different lengths to make sure that the tubing still extends beyond top of original button after shrinking.

... also, has anyone noticed that these buttons are a bit temperamental and seem to need to be pushed in a particular direction laterally as well as vertically to get a good response? Perhaps caps on the buttons will improve this?

marks

Post by marks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 am

Yes these buttons are very temperamental and driving me to frustration.

This has finally culminated in the right hand button (the one by itself) on mine to stop clicking and it is now not working at all. Unfortunately I have spent quite a bit of time on this board re routing various pins etc to get USB host, SD, printer and a few serial devices all working together.

This button is the "Enter" key for user input so until I can get another LCD shield....... or replace the button.... or ???

I have no idea where to get another button or even if I can whether or not I have the skills to replace.

Major "bummer" :(