Relay Shield with Mega and XBee

Got comments, questions, or tips about any of the shields listed on ShieldList.org? Post them here!
The Doc

Relay Shield with Mega and XBee

Post by The Doc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 am

I have a project that is already based on the Freetronics EtherMega using Serial 1 for XBee - pins 18 and 19. I also have a 1 wire network with four temperature sensors, currently on pin 10

I want to add the 8 way relay shield. Should I expect any compilcations in this context ?

I would prefer to use the VIN from arduino to power the relays - they are very small and have been working successfully using standard digital output and arduino power. Only one is ever activated at a time, and only for a moment. Is that possible ? (I note a comment to the contrary, but I don't want more complication than necessary.)

Thanks for any help available

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Relay Shield with Mega and XBee

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:40 am

The RELAY8 shield uses the I2C bus, from a sketch perspective you shouldn't have any complications unless you're playing around with CPU timing that could affect the I2C bus speed.

Using Vin will be fine, just remember the Vin pin just passes through whatever comes in from the DC socket less 0.7V.

The Doc

Re: Relay Shield with Mega and XBee

Post by The Doc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks John