Board setup for Arduino 1.5.x and above

An advanced Arduino-compatible board with ATmega1284P and ATmega32u2 MCUs for experienced users. More RAM than a Mega, but in a convenient Uno-style form factor. [Product page]
andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Board setup for Arduino 1.5.x and above

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 am

bigjsl wrote:
johnb wrote: What do you define as a "normal Mac"?
I use Arduino IDE v1.0.6 on my 2012 Mac Mini every day without issue.
A Mac running an up to date operating system from Apple that doesn't have a security hole you can drive a truck through.
Ah, fair enough.

bigjsl

Post by bigjsl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:06 am

The Goldilocks User Manual states:

Download the Goldilocks file from Goldilocks 20130818 (also see Freetronics Goldilocks product page for future support and firmware).

So I used the files from the Freetronics page.

They clearly don't work with these instructions.

So now I will try something else.

This is not actually a learning exercise. This is flailing around hopelessly in the dark in the hope of finding something that happens to work.

bigjsl

Post by bigjsl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:24 am

What I'm trying to avoid is compiling code on my ancient MBP that I keep for running all the crap stuff that no one updates.

I'm trying to avoid that so that my kid who has a MBP that is kept right up to date by his school can run this stuff on his MBP.

I can smell from here that I'm going to fail.

Phillip, you owe me two coffees when next we have coffee.

feilipu

Board setup for Arduino 1.6.0 and above

Post by feilipu » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:27 pm

I've updated the Goldilocks support for the Arduino IDE Version 1.6.0.

Unless you are certain of what you are doing, it is recommended to install the Goldilocks separately from your existing Arduino 1.6.0 installations, until you’re sure everything is working as expected.
  • Download and install Arduino version 1.6.0, or greater, from Arduino Software
  • Download the Goldilocks file from Goldilocks_20150101 (also see Freetronics Goldilocks product page for future support and firmware).
  • Unzip this file into a user directory (ie: MyDocuments/Goldilocks/). You may need to create this folder. Do not unzip into the arduino system directory from Step 1.
  • Inside there is a hardware/ directory which contains a freetronics/ directory. This freetronics/ directory can be placed into the Arduino installation hardware/ directory you prepared from Step 1.
  • Start the Arduino IDE, and note that the Goldilocks 20 MHz, Goldilocks 22MHz, and Goldilocks Analogue can be selected in the Board menu.
Note; to address the analogue read issue noted previously by hiduino, I've changed the pin definitions for the analogue pins. This may affect previous sketches.

Also, updated to LUFA 140928 for DFU bootloader and U2duino (USB 2 Serial) for 32u2. If you have an AVRISP then you can update these files. Dean keeps a changelog for LUFA, so bugfixes since 130901 can be found there.

Both LUFA and the STK500v2 bootloader for the 1284p have been compiled using avr-gcc 4.8.2, and avr-libc 1.8.0-3 which results in significant changes to the binaries. Not certain of real-world effects at this stage though.

I've added a Goldilocks Analogue 1284p STK500v2 bootloader, but no LUFA is required for the 32u2 as USB interface because of the FTDI FT232R USB interface used instead (same as the Arduino 2009 and other similar devices).

REMAINING ERRATA: My Goldilocks boards still can't upload large sketches using the STK500v2 bootloader, because of bit slippage between the two MCUs. This is unchanged. Your mileage may vary. As a reference point, Goldilocks Analogue prototypes using the FTDI FT232R USB interface and using an identical bootloader, have no issues uploading at up to 115,200 baud. The work around with no down-side is to use a real AVRISP mk2 to program the Goldilocks.

John, happy to buy you as many coffees as you can consume.
You'll need to come to Melbourne to collect. :D