Using RTC to wake Arduino

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
woody

Using RTC to wake Arduino

Post by woody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 am

Hi all,

I am trying to work out a way to lower the power consumption on my Geogram One Open source GPS tracker (http://dsscircuits.com/geogram-one.html) so that I can use a 6000mAh Lipo battery and get a good 6 months out of the device (waking every 2nd or 3rd day, sending it's location, then returning to sleep)

People have suggested that I use the RTC module to wake the Arduino when required.
Can someone help out with this?

Another suggestion has been to use the Watchdog timer (Geogram One currently uses millis for it's timer interval), but I'm not sure how to get it to sleep for more than 8 seconds.

Any suggestions?

woody

Re: Using RTC to wake Arduino

Post by woody » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am

I was hoping not to have to use a seperate circuit, as the power consumption and space required would increase. In saying that, If that's what I have to do, I'd be interested in what you are thinking.

Is there anyway to use the RTC to "wake" the Atmega32 without extra "stuff" required?

woody

Re: Using RTC to wake Arduino

Post by woody » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am

How would you do the seperate power circuit to turn the device on once every 24-48 hours for five minutes, then OFF again?