4x4x4 RGB led cube

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
Petemray

4x4x4 RGB led cube

Post by Petemray » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Jon,any idea when the 4x4x4 RGB led cube that was shown on page 13 of the 2012 Jaycar catalogue will be available? Thanks.Peter.

kingcube4

Re: 4x4x4 RGB led cube

Post by kingcube4 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:53 am

Is there somewhere I can get a diagram of the PCB's for the Cube 4x4x4, as when I have run the test pattern I have a few missing LED from showing.

Also I have one the is red on the first run of the test patten.

marc
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by marc » Fri May 31, 2013 7:44 am

Here's the complete circuit diagrams:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/8 ... ic-all.pdf

They're linked from the product page too if you ever need them.

Cheers,
Marc

rweather

Post by rweather » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Got one of these from Jaycar on Saturday. Assembly went fine - about 3 hours total - very nice. When I power it up, it works through each of the LED's in turn (all seem to work).

After the initial test scan, it doesn't then go into the "twinkling random colours" mode mentioned in the assembly documentation. I just assumed that it was shipped with the wrong sketch and continued. I then connected to it via the Serial Monitor and was able to turn LED's on and off with the serial commands.

Now the problem. When I try to download a new sketch into it, the Arduino 1.0.1 IDE tells me that it cannot find a Leonardo on the selected port (which is the right one according to dmesg). Neither "Arduino Leonardo" nor "Freetronics LeoStick V2.0" work. The same IDE/port works fine for uploading sketches to an Eleven board I have lying around.

What am I doing wrong?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 am

Hi rweather,

I'm guessing you're using a Linux distro by mention of "dmesg". Do you have modem-manager installed? (it's there by default on recent Fedora & Ubuntu installs, probably others.)

If so you'll need to tell modem-manager not to probe the Cube as this disrupts the upload process. It's more disruptive on the LeoStick & Cube because they enumerate twice any time they restart, once as a bootloader and then a second time as a sketch. Have a look under "Problems uploading on Linux" here: http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leosti ... rted-guide

Modem-manager may also be responsible for the initial demo loop not continuing to run, I believe it'll go directly into the "serial interactive" mode if it detects any input at all (including probes of "are you a modem?")

Please let us know how you go.

- Angus

rweather

Post by rweather » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 am

Awesome. That fixed it. Thanks Angus!

KEvinLeRoy

Post by KEvinLeRoy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 pm

HI i just got this kit , and got it working after one failed pad ...now I have questions

is there a possibility to translate / copy sketches to achieve similar results to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... y7p-gdOOjg

or like a matrix type effect , bouncing balls ect ... I'm not talented in programming, I am hoping some clever people out there will share what nice effects they can get out of this cube :)