Connecting Stepduino to different compiler

The StepDuino is an Arduino Uno compatible board with 2 onboard stepper controllers, a 20x4 LCD, servo outputs, and inputs for travel limit switches or a touchscreen overlay. [Product page]
reagan

Connecting Stepduino to different compiler

Post by reagan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:12 am

Hi guys,

I am attempted to upload sketches through another compiler. I am using Flip, I have recently just used it on another ATmega328P and it worked fine, however Flip cannot find the Stepduino. I was thinking the issue may be the drivers, as the other ATmega used Flip's USB drivers whereas the Stepduino has its own drivers. I have code already written as C files and don't really want to write them up as Arduino files.

Kind regards,
Reagan

Brissieboy

Re: Connecting Stepduino to different compiler

Post by Brissieboy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:37 am

Tried compiling then downloading the resulting hex file via the ISP?

reagan

Post by reagan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 am

I tried XLoader and it said it uploaded, however it isn't functioning. The sketch I'm uploading isn't using serial at all, it is a mock controller for a Nintendo Switch.

Brissieboy

Post by Brissieboy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 am

Not familiar with either Flip or XLoader so can't offer much help.
If it says it programmed the target correctly (and I assume also verified it), then maybe you need to look at your sketch. Or start with a simple test sketch to do something very basic on the stepduino just to verify the process.

reagan

Post by reagan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 am

I have already compiled this code to another ATmega (Duinotech Uno R3) and it operated completely fine.

reagan

Post by reagan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 am

Is it possible to force the board into Bootloader mode? That may be the reason why the device can't be found?

Brissieboy

Post by Brissieboy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am

The stepduino is Uno compatible so you should be able to install the bootloader in the same way as the Uno. The Arduino IDE makes that easy, but you do need a programmer of some sort. Plenty of info available on that.

reagan

Post by reagan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Could you point me towards some of these resources?

Brissieboy

Post by Brissieboy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Just do a web search for 'Arduino burn bootloader' or something similar and you will get heaps of responses with plenty of options.
Just another point: if you are powering the stepduino from the USB port make sure that it has the full 5V available at the board, or else power it externally. I'm not sure what the current draw is for the stepduino, but many USB ports have very limited current capability.