Real time clock

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
richii

Real time clock

Post by richii » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 am

A (highly accurate!) real time clock module would be handy.

Alternatively, if you feel it's been done to death, any modules you'd recommend?

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Real time clock

Post by jonoxer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:34 am

Funny you should mention that. When we drew up a list of possible modules we had to set a limit somewhere or we would have gone insane, so we put them all in a spreadsheet and then juggled them into order based on expected level of interest, availability of comparable devices, etc, and drew a line through the spreadsheet under the 12th line. The RTC module *just* missed the first cut!

It's now top of our list for the next batch of modules though, and we're already underway with it. We're going to use a DS3232 RTC chip, which is very similar to the popular DS1307 but has improved accuracy and more SRAM. Marc has already ordered production-level volumes of the parts including the battery holder and we're kitting up now to get fabrication underway. There's a lot to do between now and it being available for sale though, so if you need them in anything less than about a month you may be better off buying a module that's ready to go right now.
--
Jon

richii

Post by richii » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 am

Hi Jon,

Sounds good to me - my project isn't quite ready for the clock component to go on just yet, so a month or so is no problem at all. Actually, quite the reverse, I didn't expect to see one so quickly!

Cheers,

Richard

davidw

Post by davidw » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am

Hi, I was wondering if there is an update on the availabilty of the ds3232 rtc breakout board you've been discussing ?