Help 433 and Lacrosse

315MHz and 433MHz wireless connections are very commonly used by consumer electronics including weather stations, home automation remote controls, power consumption meters, car alarms, and also many DIY projects.
Pennyworth

Help 433 and Lacrosse

Post by Pennyworth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am

I have been trying to get my Lacrosse WS2355 weather station to talk to my arduino UNO and my EtherTen and using either of the 2 Freetronics 433 receivers (One is V2 and the other is V3 ).

As I have the same weather station as used in the Arduino book and using the Freetronics receiver(s) I would have thought that it all should be "plug and play".

I have seen nothing on the serial monitor even after several hours of just monitoring the frequency.

In desperation, I have rescued my old 433 -(RXB1) :?: Jaycar sourced receiver and set it up on the UNO and I now have decoded messages coming out on my serial monitor.

Have I missed something in my software setup that suits the newer receivers?

Cantrade

Re: Help 433 and Lacrosse

Post by Cantrade » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I am having a similar problem. I have the shield plugged into my Arduino and the program compiles, loads and executes to the "Powered Up" message then nothing. I have my transmitter right next to the antenna so signal strength should not be an issue.

I removed the commit // from the #define DEBUG statement hoping that the serial monitor would at least display something about the data in order to tell if it was garbage or not. I recompiled and got the same results. If the program is executing then it is printing blank lines to the monitor display page.

I might have a problem with the external wiring but it is pretty simple so I don't expect that.

Ideas??

Don

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 am

As I have the same weather station as used in the Arduino book and using the Freetronics receiver(s) I would have thought that it all should be "plug and play".
That *should* be the case, yes. The RXB6 used on the newer shields should be functionally identical to the RXB1, just with some improved noise rejection and sensitivity. Since you have it working with the RXB1, we know that the signal is being transmitted OK and that your software is OK. That just leaves the shield as a possible problem.

I know it's a silly question (please forgive the impertinence!) but could you check that your code is using pin D8 for data to match the shield? Is that the same pin as you're using with the RXB1?
--
Jon

Cantrade

Post by Cantrade » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:55 pm

I am trying to use a LAX4U temperature/humidity transmitter with the 433 shield and the program from the book. I must have the wrong data stream input since the serial display simply reports that the "WS has powered up" and then nothing. Also the DEBUG routine doesn't seem to be working since no additional lines print.

I am thinking that my transmitter must have an entirely different data stream but so far I have been unable to locate any documentation on this transmitter. It is the standard for LaCrosse WS7391U stations. I was hoping to practice with this transmitter then decide which parameters I really need before building a more complete unit. The original unit works well and has never had a failure other than batteries.

Any ideas about finding out what my data really looks like?

Don

Pennyworth

Post by Pennyworth » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 am

I have used both my Freetronics 433 receivers V2 and V3 shields and they do not receive any data from my Lacrosse WS2355 Weather Station.

Hooking up my RXB1 receiver using a flying lead to pin 8 and powering the receiver from 5 volts, the software in the UNO displays lost of received data as I expected.

I have tried to receive data from my Power Monitor using the Freetronics shield V2 and it did receive some data but I need some work on the code to get the display right. At least I can see something..

For some reason, the 2 shields and my UNO and EtherTen do not like to work together with either RXB6 receiver and the Lacrosse Weather Station.

Any suggestions are most welcome

okwatts

Post by okwatts » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:29 pm

I am expecting a 433 receiver shortly for my Oregon Scientific remotes. I know that I will have to alter the software for their coding. When I checked this at WXShield website (http://wmrx00.sourceforge.net/Arduino/arduino.html) they had a detailed PDF for the OOK system for OS versions of the firmware. It is possible that the RXB6 data sheet which specifies OOK keying and the RXB1 which specifies ASK keying are not compatible. I understand that OOK is a subset of ASK but perhaps the Lacrosse is using another variant of ASK that is not OOK. As I don't have the RXB1 but have looked at the datasheet from SParkfun I was wondering if this might be the reason. It will take some experimenting to determine if this might answer the questions.

Nick

Re: Help 433 Shield & EtherTen & La Crosse

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 am

Hi guys,

I'm also using the La Crosse with Arduino Uno using the 433 shield. Works great.
Serial Print COM8:
  • Port open
    Weather Station Receiver has powered up
    STATIONID=28
    TEMPERATURE=22.3
    STATIONID=28
    HUMIDITY=55
    STATIONID=28
    RAINFALL=16.0
    STATIONID=28
    WINDDIRECTION=WSW
    WINDSPEED=0.0
    STATIONID=28
    TEMPERATURE=22.3
    STATIONID=28
    HUMIDITY=55
    STATIONID=28
    RAINFALL=16.0
    STATIONID=28
    WINDDIRECTION=WSW
    WINDSPEED=0.0
The next thing I was hoping to achieve was to post data to Pachube, using EtherTen & 433 shield & post received weather data.

Unfortunately I've hit a wall, EtherTen not receiving data from the La Crosse, I believe has been a common experience, noted by other posts.

Serial Print COM12:
  • Port open
    Weather Station Receiver has powered up

Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a solution posted.

I've tried both the Arduino Uno & EthertTen with 433 shield a few times, also with & without stacked pins, ( used to overcome the shield hitting the EtherTen Ethernet plug).

Also it'd be great to see a tutorial using the EtherTen & 433 shield receiving the La Crosse weather data & posting to Pachube.

Thanks in advance
Nick

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:36 am

Further testing the EtherTen & Arduino Uno with WeatherStationReceiver shield, seems that when running code on EtherTen, code doesn't drop into the first conditional defined by the Packet_Converter_WS2355() function, although it does on the Arduino Uno.

code excerpt from Practical Arduino example - La Crosse Weather Station Receiver

void Packet_Converter_WS2355(void)
{
byte b;
byte c;
sint si;

if( bICP_WSR_PacketInputPointer != bICP_WSR_PacketOutputPointer ) // Doesn't drop into //
{
}
}

Just for curiosities sake, tried changing the conditional operator to the opposite ==, also allowing DEBUG

code excerpt from Practical Arduino example - La Crosse Weather Station Receiver - edited

void Packet_Converter_WS2355(void)
{
byte b;
byte c;
sint si;

if( bICP_WSR_PacketInputPointer == bICP_WSR_PacketOutputPointer ) // Does drop into //
{
}
}

Serial Print COM12

BINARY=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
HEX=00000000 0000000000000
STATIONID=0
TEMPERATURE=-30.0

Interesting but obviously not an answer...
The code is also a bit low level for me to really debug what's going wrong.

Cheers
Nick

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:10 am

Perhaps Marc would be able to shed some light on it, since he did the original decoding of the La Crosse message format and wrote the code for that project in Practical Arduino. He's a bit busy right now with a new product that we're about to release but I'll point him to this topic and hopefully he'll be able to look into it.
--
Jon

okwatts

Post by okwatts » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

I'm afraid this is off topic but I did receive my RF Shield and it works great with my Uno and OS transmitter using the software from the WSDL weather site (http://wmrx00.sourceforge.net/Arduino/arduino.html) as their version 1 hardware is based on the same idea as this project. I have to admit the prospect of converting or writing my own low level decoding software was pretty daunting and would have taken me quite some time. Also the logging program on the PC side looks good, my problem is that I only have the Temp/RH remote and not the other inputs. The other oddity is that while waiting for delivery of the RF shield I ordered an RF receiver from a Canadian supplier (http://www.solarbotics.com/assets/datas ... _sheet.pdf) and put it on a breadboard with an Ardweeny using the same code but don't get any decoded output. Even the digital output appearance on a scope is different from the Freetronics shield. It's possible that there is more noise in this setup than for the RXB6-Freetronics shield setup and this is what is causing the problem although it does appear that the logic of the signal is inverted in my breadboard setup. I'll try and pursue it and see if I can solve the issues but the upside for Freetronics is that their shield works a treat if you can get the software for your transmitting stations worked out.