Raspberry or Arduino or both?

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
pmf1977

Raspberry or Arduino or both?

Post by pmf1977 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:30 am

Hello

I have a raspberry pi and have a few projects in mind.

One to monitor various things on my aquarium and possibly a camera.
Another to identify the colour of lego bricks on a conveyor and tip them in to different buckets

but anyway I have now noticed the Arduino and wondered are they capable of similar things or is one better than the other for different tasks?

thanks

Paul

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Raspberry or Arduino or both?

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

The key difference is that a Raspberry Pi is a computer (albeit a small one) and an Arduino or compatible is a microcontroller.
In saying that, one is better for some tasks than another.
An Arduino can use a colour sensor, control servos and motors etc for the LEGO task, whereas cameras and image processing is better handled by a computer and thus (e.g.) a Raspberry Pi.

atem

Re: Raspberry or Arduino or both?

Post by atem » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:49 pm

yes for aquarium project, Raspberry is good. But for Lego Bricks, go for Arduino as suggested by andrew.
I am a fan of Lego bricks game, and I am creating a project where, a robot will find the same color LEgo bricks and make tower of them by putting them over one another. I have used Arduino to find the color of the bricks with help of below project:
color detection using arduino
now I am using servo motors to pick up the same color bricks but not succeeding, so the point of this whole talk is that, as this thread is already 6months old, so have you created such system, where you can keep the same color bricks aside? Please share that how you are putting them in different buckets, means using any motor/robot/or any other technique.
Thanks.