Developing board with mobile connectivity

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
kaisat

Developing board with mobile connectivity

Post by kaisat » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:17 am

Hey everyone!

We've been developing this new, small IoT device that can be used for tracking and monitoring different things. The idea is that instead of having to be added separately, the sensors would be neatly packed into one compact and weatherproof device.

The reason I'm reaching out to you is that we're trying to ask people who really know the field what (if anything) they would want to do with a developing board like this. What features (sensors, connectivity etc.) would be most important and so on. And of course if something sounds off, we'd like to hear about that too.

Currently we're proposing the following specs:

Wireless connectivity: 2G Quadband GPRS, WLAN, BT 4.1
+ Micro USB 2.0, GPIO pins on PCB, JTAG on PCB

And as for the sensors:
A-GPS Location, 3D Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Temperature, Pressure, Humidity, Magnetometer, Ambient Light Sensor

We'd really appreciate any feedback you can give. You can also hit me up with questions if you have anything in mind. Cheers!

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Developing board with mobile connectivity

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:34 am

The first that that pops into mind is to have 3G cellular - 2G is being phased out in many countries. For example Telstra here in Australia is closing 2G in mid 2016.

kaisat

Post by kaisat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks for your comment, johnB! You're right, and that's an issue we have been thinking about. However we decided to settle for 2G for now, because it does cut down the price a bit and it works everywhere at the moment. And, well, It's probably gonna take a while since the phasing out actually happens. But we'll cross that bridge once we get there.

milky

Post by milky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 am

Coincidentally, I am working on a similar board, but for only one specific requirement. I live in a wine grape and fruit growing area of South Australia, but it is very frost prone at around the same time as bud-burst in early Spring. Because the vineyards are vast, we can experience frost strike in one place, but not all over. Therefore, we need remote sensors all over the property, all capable of sending an SMS if a threshold low temperature is reached. This will alert staff who can run overhead sprinklers or frost fans to minimise the risks.

I'm not a noob to electronics or programming, but arduino is a new horizon for me. I have a uno talking to an LCD display and sounding a piezo alarm when a preset threshold (typically 5 degrees C).

Unfortunately, I've hit a wall with the GPRS shield I bought because the documentation is so atrocious. I'm hoping to find someone else on here who has been there and done that, but, as a newbie, I'm not sure which thread to raise the question in.

kaisat

Post by kaisat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:03 am

Hey,

Finally got some material to show (who knows you might also be interested, milky!)
We launched our device, Thingsee One on Kickstarter on monday. If you're interested in learning more about the device specs, check out our project page at http://kck.st/1sq9oYl.