Data logger for passive house project

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
EyesOfAHunter

Data logger for passive house project

Post by EyesOfAHunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi People
I am likely to build a passive house in the near future and I want to datalog the energy consumption, temperature, humidity, light, RFID and doors/windows opening then post it online in a spreadsheet/graph.

I am a Civil engineer and am going to need help on the electronics side (to say the least, more along the lines of a step by step guide).

My present thinking is:
EtherTen connected to an internet hub by ethernet cable,
HUMID: Humidity and Temperature Sensor Module,
A small solar panel to record the solar intensity (this will also give me data if I want to use a solar system on the house as a whole),
reed switches in the doors,
an infrared beam for the windows (there are many in a line) and
I need to be able to measure the wattage throughout the house.

I want to place multiple sensors in each room, to map air flow.
i.e. I need approx 15 temp/humidity sensors

For the Wattage I was hoping this could be done at the power board.

I would like to the data to be logged when there is a change in temp/etc, then recorded on an SD-card and uploaded to a google doc spreadsheet/form.

I want to use the RFID as only part of the data set. I was planning on placing the reader just below the keyhole. So that when a manual lock is used the RFID (hanging on the keyring) is captched.

So how do I do this?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Data logger for passive house project

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 pm

EyesOfAHunter wrote: So how do I do this?
Break it down into separate experiments so you have an understanding of each part works, make notes - then you'll be on your way to integrating the whole system together.

if Arduino is new to you then get yourself an Eleven or the EXP:
http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... or-arduino
then move on from there.

There are many resources to follow both free and in book form, for example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/arduino/comment ... ials_list/
http://nostarch.com/arduino
etc.

EyesOfAHunter

Post by EyesOfAHunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Break it down into separate experiments so you have an understanding of each part works, make notes - then you'll be on your way to integrating the whole system together.
Fair enough.
Am a getting an EtherTen, SD card and temp sensors.
i.e. I'll start at just temp logging

Further questions to follow

mike98

Post by mike98 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm

EyesOfAHunter wrote:
Break it down into separate experiments so you have an understanding of each part works and effective solar energy solutions , make notes - then you'll be on your way to integrating the whole system together.
Fair enough.
Am a getting an EtherTen, SD card and temp sensors.
i.e. I'll start at just temp logging

Further questions to follow

Hello EyesOfAHunter,

I m looking for some ideas to help diagnose a problem i have with an etherten board.

Background
Im running a remote power supply monitoring system with an etherten. Basically measuring voltage, current, power etc and uploading to cosm. The location is on a bush block with a shed that I get to a few times a year.

I've been running the code on an arduino uno with an ethernet shield with out any issues. At easter i visited the site and swapped in an Etherten, that I had been testing a few code tweaks on in my home, where it had run for 10 days without any issues.

My code uses a watchdog timer set for 2s. This is used to allow the board to "reboot" once per day, to a) help avoid any problems with timers/memory rolling over after x days and
b), to hopefully create a more reliable platform in case of any trouble.

The etherten is powered by a dc-dc converter from the battery bank, set at 9.5v

I have a lan to lan VPN to the site between my home router and a router with a 3g connection on the site. This is working fine and my remote weather station continues to function so I know that internet is up and working and so to is my lan/vpn

Problem
After the etherten was running for 5 days when i was at the location last, i returned home and it ran for another 5 days. It then went "offline". This surprised me because i figured whatever cased the problem should disappear on the next days watchdog timeout. That didnt happen. The board is not uploading to cosm, but it's also NOT responding to ping.

Initially i assumed it must have been a hardware failure of either the board itself or something like the dc-dc power supply. However i noticed that the router still had it listed in it's arp cache, after I remotely rebooted the router. I cleared the arp cache. and after a few seconds the arp listing re-appeared. I manually deleted the arp listing using the router's SSH interface and again,a few seconds later the ARP listing re-appeared. Yet I still cant ping the etherten (either over the vpn, or through the router interface directly).