Magnetic Pick-Up Lap Timer

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
senna1

Magnetic Pick-Up Lap Timer

Post by senna1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 am

Hello everyone,

New member here, and new to the products, so far very excited and impressed!

Was wondering, does anyone know if there is any way I could make a laptimer for a go kart with a magnetic pick up which picks up on the magnetic strips on a racetrack rather than breaking an infrared beam?

Would appreciate any reply and as much detail as possible.

Tracks can have multiple pick up points (Split Laps), Ideally, being able to build a unit which can be told the number of strips at different tracks would be ideal!

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Magnetic Pick-Up Lap Timer

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 am

How much clearance do you need between the body of the kart and the surface of the track?

senna1

Post by senna1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:55 am

20-30 mm. No more than 50mm

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 am

senna1 wrote:20-30 mm. No more than 50mm
it just occured to me to ask - how will you know which car is which if you're just using magnets? (Unless you're only timing one car at a time). Have you considered high-powered RFID instead?

senna1

Post by senna1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. The unit will be on-board the kart. It will be recording live data. Most race karts these days have these units fitted.
When I travel over the strip, the lap time or split time will be displayed/recorded on the unit LCD/LED.
Do you want a link to the website for the unit which i currently have fitted to the kart? Or possibly some images?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Ah I see what you mean. Well it can be done, the key will be using a non-latching hall-effect sensor. This will then trigger an interrupt in the Arduino/Eleven board which will be detected by the sketch as a timing point and thus calculate the speed, etc.

senna1

Post by senna1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 am

Thanks again mate. Attached is a very basic diagram of what I would like to read/record/display.Are you able to possibly list what components I require ensuring they are compatible so I can price up the basic components before looking at any coding.
I forgot to draw in the speed sensor
Attachments
20130829_104842.jpg

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 am

senna1 wrote:Thanks again mate. Attached is a very basic diagram of what I would like to read/record/display.Are you able to possibly list what components I require ensuring they are compatible so I can price up the basic components before looking at any coding.
I forgot to draw in the speed sensor
Please understand that we cannot select entire lists of parts for bespoke projects, basically I'd have to design it for you which we don't have the resources for. However I'd budget about $200 for the first one.

fabreax

Post by fabreax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,

I'm a beginner in Arduino and I want to make my first test on a kart in order to detect lap times.

What sensor are you using ? Hall effect ?

Thanks

Fabien