Cube Wifi?

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
oobles

Cube Wifi?

Post by oobles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,

I've got my cube built and am going to use it for an Argot (www.argot-sdk.org) demo I'm putting together. I notice the base has pins for an XBee. What would be involved and is it possible to put the XBee Wi-Fi board on it? And where would I buy an XBee Wi-Fi board?

Thanks,
David.

oobles

Re: Cube Wifi?

Post by oobles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks. I ended up getting a RN-XV module and a couple of connectors as you suggested.

Regards,
David.

oobles

Post by oobles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 am

I installed the WiFly module over the weekend with the help of Andy Gelme which was much appreciated. We connected the module to the Serial1 transmit/receive. I found the following library for use on the Arduino.

https://github.com/dpslwk/WiFly

The library is setup to connect via the SPI. Can you explain the difference between SPI and Serial1? Also, where is the SPI transmit/receive on the board? I'm happy to re-solder them, but no idea what I'm looking for.

Also, if you're ever revising the board can I suggest putting pads on the top of the board? It took forever to get the solder to take on the pins. It was also by shear luck that I discovered that the holes on the board aren't connected to anything. Is that documented anywhere?

Regards,
David.

oobles

Post by oobles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 am

Looks like I spoke too soon on not being able to setup the library to talk over Serial1. A bit more research and the cube has now connected to the Internet. For anyone else that might hit this issue. The trick is to use the setUart(). I did notice that the WiFly.join returns false even though it was successful.

Code: Select all

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
  if(!Serial){
    ;
  }
  Serial.println("WebClient example at 38400 baud.");
  Serial1.begin(9600);
  if(!Serial1){
    ;
  }
  Serial.println("Testing");

WiFly.setUart(&Serial1);
  WiFly.begin();

if (!WiFly.join(ssid, passphrase, true)) {
    Serial.println("Association failed.");

}  

//WiFly.configure(WIFLY_BAUD, 38400);

Serial.println("connecting...");

if (client.connect("google.com", 80)) {
    Serial.println("connected");
    client.println("GET /search?q=arduino HTTP/1.0");
    client.println();
  } else {
    Serial.println("connection failed");
  }

}

I might still look at using the ICSP, but for now working is good enough!

Thanks again,
David.