Advice on connectors

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
unique_stephen

Advice on connectors

Post by unique_stephen » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 am

Jumpers leads are great and all but don't lend themselves to plug and play and easy re-assembly for things like trying out new motor control boards etc. As it stands now my little bench top projects need to be carefully re-constructed if the jumpers come off.

What connectors, male and female are out there that are cheep, available in different sises (2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pin etc) and compatible with the standard headers you get in the Arduino universe?

Who sells them and can you get something like a mixed bag of 60 ? What tools do you need to work with them?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but google is moot on the issue - Are they Molex connectors? What do you guys use? I was thinking to use female to female jumpers and heat shrinking them into a cable but it sounds like an ugly hack.

unique_stephen

Re: Advice on connectors

Post by unique_stephen » Thu May 23, 2013 5:47 am

I was looking at that and it neatly solves the problem on the microcontroller side but it dosen't solve the problem of connecting to sensors and actuators like stepper motor boards, ultrasonic distance modules, gyros etc.

I'm a geologist not an electronics hacker or 'maker' so I know squat about electronics and all the standard bits of kit and jargon but my kids an I have embarked on building a robot based on the Rover 5 platform. We have a few components breadboarded and working with the Raspberry pi and Arduino and now we are looking to move them into the chassie of the Rover.

The jumpers keep falling off the ultrasonic distance module. looking at other projects around the web like this one: http://www.bajdi.com/my-rover-5-now-wit ... nsor-back/ you can see neet little connectors being used. The sensor has 4 pins and connects to two I/O pins on the Pi or Arduino and somehow to power pins, so it's not as simple as a 4 pin to 4 pin female to female. That photo above is a good example of how complex the wiring lomb can get

Which had me thinking that there must be an elegant solution. Surly r.c. hobby enthusiasts have bumped into this problem before with servos, receivers etc. There has to be some sort of board to board to sensor connector system that uses the breakaway headers and thats a little more robust than the single female to female jumper connectors.

unique_stephen

Re: Advice on connectors

Post by unique_stephen » Fri May 24, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks,

Thats exactly what I was after. Thanks. I like the glue gun idea too - a bit less permanent that solder.

Steve