Cargo RaspPi Car Server

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
BeJay

Cargo RaspPi Car Server

Post by BeJay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm starting a project with raspberrypi as a "server" in the car for gps and engine diagnostics. This will also do basic gpx file generation for logging and engine / fuel performance to a 20x 4 LCD on the gpio using python.

The plan is to get it running all services on TCP/UDP over ethernet and serve it to a wifi enabled smartphone / arduino for further analysis or display. I was inspired after seeing the geek my ride youtube video to actually get on with it (I've only ever had windows car pcs before - pre 1997) so it would be nice to colaberate all open source linux OBDII and GPS solutions into a cheap low power server for the car using a pi.

So has anyone else had a play with porting OBDII (from a USB -> ELM327) and GPSD to other applications? GPSD is a no brainer, but coming up with a "standard" for CANBUS and other stuff could be interesting...

Cheers

Bj

BeJay

Re: Cargo RaspPi Car Server

Post by BeJay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:42 am

Ok so I finally finished the v1.0 PCB. It's single layer with wire links.

Here is the top view of the populated PCB showing the power supply board running the Pi through the GPIO pins from 5V. I added a bodge wire on the Pi to allow more current to the onboard USB ports.

The LCD piggy-back board has the contrast and brightness pots on the back:

Now I have something more robust to test with, it's on with the software. I found a neat little trick from here on setting the system clock with python. This however needed some extra tweaking to work for me. I needed to add the -u settings to the set string to make sure the clock was being set to UTC and not setting local time to UTC.

Code: Select all

#set pi clock with UTC 2013-03-16T00:37:55.000Z -> 16 MAR 2013 00:37:55
	if gpsd.utc != None and gpsd.utc != '':
		gpstime = gpsd.utc[0:4] + gpsd.utc[5:7] + gpsd.utc[8:10] + ' ' + gpsd.utc[11:13] + gpsd.utc[13:19]
		print 'Setting system time to GPS time...'
		# added -u to set clock to UTC time and not effect the timezone
		os.system('sudo date -u --set="%s"' % gpstime)