Congratulations!

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
adr1an

Re: Congratulations!

Post by adr1an » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 am

Funny - I was just coming in to post something similar.

I think its fantastic that we might have a solid locally based resource for this sort of thing. Not that it should matter - but a little part of me is always chuffed to see stuff close to home that makes it feel more .. I don't know... homely? ;)

Anyway - Look forward to seeing what develops in here - and given I'm starting to have a few yellow boxes sitting around on my shelves perhaps some sections of the forum might come in handy indeed ! :)

Ado

P.s... keep up the great work on those tutorials Tronixstuff! :)

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 am

Woot!

Pretty soon a new forum will need to be added when the shiny new EtherMega is shipping :)

Aubrey

Post by Aubrey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for the forums. I look forward to lurking and hopefully getting involved.

I am a big fan of Freetronics gear (and of tronixstuff too, John) - two of the best Arduino resources ever.

Best wishes.

richii

Post by richii » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 am

I'll throw another congratulations into the ring!

Just discovered the freetronics boards a week or so ago, and _love_ the fact you're local. It makes it that much more fun!

geekscape

Post by geekscape » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:11 pm

hi All,

Having a Freetronics community to share projects / ideas and provide self-help above and beyond what Freetronics have time to do (or for a broader community perspective) ... will be a good thing for all users of Freetronics gear.

There is a lot of detailed documentation, driver code and applications to be developed, especially for some of the more sophisticated boards, e.g USBDroid.

A significant advantage of Freetronics being local is that there are numerous opportunities to interact with Jon and Marc and numerous Freetronics hardware users face-to-face, e.g upcoming LCA2012 Arduino mini-conference or even at the Melbourne HackerSpace this evening (2011-11-01) ... where for a couple of hours it was possible to hang-out together and discuss all things Arduino !

cheers andyg (@geekscape)

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks everyone! Marc and I really hope this forum will be useful as a general discussion resource for Aussie electronics enthusiasts, not just as a product-support tool. Of course a big reason for creating it was to make it easier for people to get help with Freetronics devices, but the reason I've also created a bunch of other categories is that we want people to just hang out here and talk about other things as well.

LukeW: yes, we'll need an EtherMega category very soon!

LukeW and AndyG got their hands on an EtherMega prototype for a few minutes yesterday at the Connected Community Hackerspace meeting in Melbourne, and the production units are being fabricated right now.
--
Jon

imicro

Post by imicro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

And from me too. It's been catchup for me as i've not needed to 'dabble' with programming microcontrollers for a while when back +20yrs ago it was always done in Assembler simply because anything in a higher language was just too expensive to own unless their was a genuine commercial gain and the firm paid for it all...

Jaycar's mailer alerted me to their stocking the Freetronics Arduinos in NZ so i went straight out and bought an Eleven and USBdroid along with a few add-on modules., (i'd have grabbed more if their stock was up to it)... i'd been beaten by others i guess.

I really appreciate the programming environment of Arduino and having a couple of well made high quality Freetronics modules means i won't need to constantly chase and fault-find the setup like used to happen when i'd build a micro onto a piece of veroboard with external RAM and EPROM ics and connectors everywhere before even connecting up to the outside world!

Now all i need do is get fully familiar with Arduino and start making stuff.... Thanks guys, cheers from NZ, Pete :-)

EpicTinker

Post by EpicTinker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for setting this up! It'll be exciting to see all of the cool projects everyone is working on.

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 am

I've noticed a few spammers starting to appear on the Freetronics forums.
Maybe it's time to tweak the configuration in phpBB to lock it down a little bit more?

For example, I'm pretty sure when I registered I never got the emailed-account-confirmation-link email that is typical for this kind of online registration.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:59 am

I turned on the registration confirmation email feature yesterday after the first spammers appeared, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I don't want to go as far as requiring moderator approval of every registration, though. That would be a pain.

I've banned 3 users so far, and deleted about 30 posts.
--
Jon