Problem with USBDroid driver on AMD 64 bit Win7

The USBDroid provides USB Host functionality for use as an Android peripheral as an Open Android Development Kit board. [Product page]
nflawson

Problem with USBDroid driver on AMD 64 bit Win7

Post by nflawson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 am

Hi, I have a Freetronics eleven and the driver is working perfectly. The board is properly recognized and I have uploaded numerous scripts to it.

Today I bought an USBDroid and it shows up as "Unknown Device" among the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in device manager (not "Other Devices" as happened with the eleven).

If I specifically point the Driver Update to the *.inf file it gives an error and doesn't recognize the driver (or the board).

Is there some trick to making this work?

Thank you, Neil

nflawson

Re: Problem with USBDroid driver on AMD 64 bit Win7

Post by nflawson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 am

I'll answer my own post, it looks like its a problem with connecting the board through a hub. Once I found a USB lead long enough to go straight into the PC the board was correctly recognized.

Re-plugging into the hub brings back the same condition (Unknown Device).

Ah well, the joys of Windows computing...

NB I work for an Australian National Retailer doing Windows and Web development...

Agent

Re: Problem with USBDroid driver on AMD 64 bit Win7

Post by Agent » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am

Just came to say that I had the same symptoms as described above. It listed as an Unknown Device in Device Manager, and when trying to update the driver with Freetronics USB Drivers v2.1 it said "Looks like your device is already using the best driver."

And still would not work. The cause was that it was plugged into the USB spot in the front of the computer. When I plugged it in the back, it worked fine. Must be that the front USB spots on my PC are treated like a hub, as described above.

[edit: i did not have to reinstall the driver because I had already previously done it successfully with my UNO, which worked fine in the front USB spot. The Droid didn't... hope that's not an omen of things to come.]

[Edit 2: These symptoms were not repeated when using the front USB spots on my other PC with near identical case - The mystery deepens...]