USB-Serial Issues

The USBDroid provides USB Host functionality for use as an Android peripheral as an Open Android Development Kit board. [Product page]
vincentvega

USB-Serial Issues

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 am

Hi All,

I recently knocked up a quick serial temperature sensor for logging ambient temperature in our test room. I used a USBDroid and connected the onboard USB-serial to a winXP machine using the instructions here:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/instal ... a1FqJxMec4

The problem is the comms drops out after about 8 hours. To isolate the problem I connected a FTDI FT232 based USB serial converter directly to the UART on the USBDroid and the problem is solved.

Are there any known issues with the 8U2 or the windows drivers under XP?

Thanks
Dane

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: USB-Serial Issues

Post by angusgr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Dane,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. We're not aware of any limitations like that with the 8u2 and Windows.

When you say "after 8 hours", is it 8 hours reliably (indicating a software/firmware problem or some kind of resource problem), or approximately 8 hours each time (indicating maybe electrical interference or some other intermittent problem.)

Did you have to do anything else in order to reestablish the serial connection?

At any rate, glad to hear you got a workaround established.

- Angus

vincentvega

Re: USB-Serial Issues

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 am

Hi Angus,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The comms would stay up for a variable amount of time before it ceased to respond.

Unfortunately the sensor is in use at the moment but when it is available again I will do some testing with the 8u2 and let you know what I find.

Thanks