Please HELP!!!USBIdiot

The USBDroid provides USB Host functionality for use as an Android peripheral as an Open Android Development Kit board. [Product page]
Alf

Please HELP!!!USBIdiot

Post by Alf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi, All........
I have a Freetronics "Eleven" / "EtherTen" & now a USBDroid(But can not get the USBDroid to talk to an Android Phone).
I have been able achive everything I wanted with all othe freetronics Arduino based devices except The USBDroid. I am missing somthing.My ADK is updated etc,
I have developed a Processing program of a Live/realtime Tachometer driven from serial data that works 100% under XP... I want to convert it to a Android App reading from the USBDroid to my phone, My issues is I can not open/read serial data to my Android Sony Ericsson XPERIA.What could I be doing wrong?

Can anyone have serial data from a "USBDroid" open in ANY Android (Under a basic processing App NOT Handbag?)

I had read 'This is the ideal platform for developing peripherals or projects based around Android devices with ADK (Android Developer Kit) functionality, but without requiring a USB host controller shield stacked onto an Arduino'
I realy only need to be shown how to have one pin of Analog data from a USBdroid to talk to processing... But I just can not work it out without help.

Is it even possible? or is a USBDroid the wrong hardware????

Many Thanks
Alf (AKA USBIdiot)

andrewduncan

Re: Please HELP!!!USBIdiot

Post by andrewduncan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Alf,

Sorry if this is obvious, but in your posts you haven't mentioned this. To use the USB Host on the USBDroid you will need to download and install the USB Host Shield library written by Oleg https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0. I don't have an Android device to test this on, but I think the term_test example in the USB_Host_Shield_2.0 library will be a good place to start.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

P.S. If you already have the USB_Host_Shield_2.0 library it might be worth getting at again as Oleg has just updated the library for the Arduino 1.0 IDE.

Alf

Post by Alf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks,Andrew
I had V1 will try V2 tonight many thanks for the input.

Regards,
Alf

Alf

Post by Alf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:36 pm

All,
A USBDroid is the best thing ever 11.5/10.

I have it working after a headbutt to a brick wall.
I am posting this so others will know it can be done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7aa_6PNdRI
And I feel so great that I have done this when last year I had never programed a video recorder.

It did take a while to figure out the details but that is what made it so good to do.

Al

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 am

Hi Alf, is there any chance you could make that video publicly visible? I just tried viewing it and got a "this video is private" message on YouTube. I'm really curious to see your project!
--
Jon

Alf

Post by Alf » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:37 am

Jon,
Please see part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmGbGsrdZAU
this is almost the same as part one. It has a USBdroid sending data to my android phone.
I had a silly issue with utube so had to make the prior vid private.

The USBdroid is reading a accelerometers (from jaycar) to move a tacho gauge around but in the future I hope to do better. I am walking blind as I am new to all programing stuff. I have not even tried to write code since my last post. (Just a hobby with a vission of somthing new)

:?: :?:

Cheers,
Alf (Aka Alex)