Clarification on Combining the LCD/Keypad Shield & USBDroid

The USBDroid provides USB Host functionality for use as an Android peripheral as an Open Android Development Kit board. [Product page]
andrewduncan

Clarification on Combining the LCD/Keypad Shield & USBDroid

Post by andrewduncan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 am

Hi,
I am new to arduino and have little experience with electronics (I have been a programmer for more that 20 years). I was interested in combining the LCD/Keypad Shield and USBDroid. I have read the page explaining the problem, but I am left a little confused. I am interested in using this combination to control a Canon camera (http://www.circuitsathome.com/camera-co ... os-cameras). My question is will the combination work if I just cut the D9 cut-jumper track on the USBDroid board or will I need to UINT to another jumper (say D3)? Will I need to modify the driver software if I do this? Alternatively, is it possible that I won't need UINT connected to any jumper?
Thanks,
Andrew

andrewduncan

Re: Clarification on Combining the LCD/Keypad Shield & USBDr

Post by andrewduncan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I think I have the answer, but please correct me if I am wrong. I can cut the D9 cut-jumper track on the USBDroid board and connect to the D3 jumper. However, I will then need to change the Backlight Control Selection Links from D3 on the 16x2 LCD shield to one of the Analog pins (if I want to be able to control the backlight).

Once I have done that I will need to change any code for the USB Host so that it is away that the USB interrupt in on D3.

Does that sound correct?

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:54 am

Hi Andrew, sorry about the slow response. Working entirely from memory, what you're describing sounds correct. This is something we really should document as a mini tutorial because it's a pretty handy thing to be able to do.
--
Jon

andrewduncan

Post by andrewduncan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for your help Jon. Everyone is busy at this time of the year. I went to Jaycar today and bought the USBDroid and LCD/Keypad shield. It is really great to be able to buy Arduino hardware that is build locally. (I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne). I am looking forward to starting this project. I am not really a hardware person, spent most of my life writing software. So this could be great.

One question about the cut-jumper. When I want to make a connection to the DS jumper can I just use a small piece of solder to bridge the jumper? If so do I need to do anything to prepare the jumper or can I just solder it (after cutting the D9 jumper connection)? Sorry for the basic questions!

Andrew

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:34 am

andrewduncan wrote:(I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne)
So do I! My local Jaycar store is Ringwood, and it's been quite a surreal experience over the last months going there and seeing more of the blue and yellow boxes appearing behind the counter on every visit. It's weird to think that I had a hand in creating something that ended up on their shelves, and it's fun chatting to the guys in the store there about what they think about it all.
andrewduncan wrote:One question about the cut-jumper. When I want to make a connection to the DS jumper can I just use a small piece of solder to bridge the jumper?
Yes, that's exactly the idea. After cutting it can be reconnected at any time with a solder blob, which can be removed again if you need to.
--
Jon

andrewduncan

Post by andrewduncan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 am

Thanks for your help Jon. Sorry to be asking very basic questions! I just want to be prepared before I tackle changing things on the boards.

I live about equal distance between the Ringwood and Springvale Jaycar stores. Yes, it must be fantastic seeing the yellow and blue boxes in Jaycar. BTW the packaging design looks great!

Andrew