EtherTen Replacement / Reset Shield

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
drewgarth

EtherTen Replacement / Reset Shield

Post by drewgarth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:22 pm

A few years ago, i was wrestling with an EtherTen locking up over time, though it was actually the W5100 chip, not the EtherTen as such.
With the help of this forum, i was pointed in the direction of a 555 based external reset circuit.
Having spent a few hours yesterday creating another external reset shield on a protoboard, it led me to Product idea 1.

1) A simple stackable 555 reset shield...Possibly with the timing cap and control pin either left for the user to solder, or jumper selectable.
(i like the astable designs such as http://www.chrisramsay.co.uk/posts/2015 ... -heartbeat )

Product idea 2 would be my ideal.....

2) An EtherTen 2. (Upgraded EtherTen)
Based on the Uno R3 + the equivalent of the Ethernet Shield 2 (W5500 chip) + a built in external reset circuit
and really pushing things a DC-DC converter as onboard voltage reg, saving further power.
The W5500 supports standby/sleep state for low power.

The combination of the above would allow to create an extremely low powered and 100% reliable remote monitoring solution.
The Ethernet module can then sleep until data needs to be sent / retrieved and then sleep again.

Food for thought :)

cheers
Andrew

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: EtherTen Replacement / Reset Shield

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 am

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your feedback. We have an external reset module:
http://www.freetronics.com.au/collectio ... mer-module

With regards to a fully-loaded W5500 board, we'll keep it in mind.

drewgarth

Re: EtherTen Replacement / Reset Shield

Post by drewgarth » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I obviously used the wrong search terms when i tried to find if something like the watchdog timer module existed. I had been searching for 555 and Shield, i hadn't thought to search for a simple external module. Great to know that it exists, i know what i am doing next time :)

cheers
Andrew