A respectable enclosure that caters for shields

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
effgee

A respectable enclosure that caters for shields

Post by effgee » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:06 am

For me, a project with breadboards and jumper wires hanging everywhere simply isn't an optino -I want my projects to work for more than 5 minutes. Yet there is a dearth of enclosures. Today I found this one from Hammond Mfg http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1751687.pdf, which looks nice, but the devil in the detail worries me that it appears to require screws to hold the board down. Per my previous posts, I don't think you can safely screw an ethermega down due to lack of 'land' space for the screw head.

I don't understand why all the existing enclosures assume you won't be using any shields on your arduino/compatible. Let alone a screw terminal, or ethermega with tall ethernet port at the front..

One option is simply an adaptor plate to facilitate screwing an arduino into one of the many rectangular boxes already available.

I'm toying with the idea of designing a better arduino enclosure myself.

What do you do to enclose your projects ?
What size box do you use/need ?
Would you use an adapter plate, or prefer a whole enclosure
How do you (reliably) connect cables to the expanded IO pins on the ethermega ?

Looking forward to your comments

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: A respectable enclosure that caters for shields

Post by angusgr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 pm

effgee wrote: What do you do to enclose your projects ?
What size box do you use/need ?
Would you use an adapter plate, or prefer a whole enclosure
How do you (reliably) connect cables to the expanded IO pins on the ethermega ?
I tend to favour fairly simple die cast boxes and their plastic equivalents. They're almost never the exact right size, but I have a bad habit of collecting boxes "that'll come in useful some time" so I often have something that's a roughly suitable size.

If you have access to a CNC mill or engraver, or a laser cutter (or your local hackerspace has one of these) then you can go quite a long way customising box faces for one off projects.

Here's a one off mockup I did for a MIDI controller workshop two years ago:

(The aesthetics are a bit off, the pot knobs are too close together, but I think not bad for an hour's messing around with Inkscape and a CNC engraver. There's an Arduino compatible board and a protoshield sandwiched in there.)

To connect cables to the extended headers, I'd probably use a Protoshield Mega and solder either inline sockets or screw terminals to it, as appropriate. Or maybe a Protoshield Mega with a Terminal Shield stacked on top of it for the non-extended connections.

I think it's an interesting discussion, though. It'd be great if we could come up with some better approaches for boxing in one-off projects.

hiduino

Re: A respectable enclosure that caters for shields

Post by hiduino » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:03 am

You should check out this case from Solarbotics,https://solarbotics.com/product/60100/. This has extra space above the Arduino board for a shield. It also has some extra space around for small lipo battery or something. It also has some optional faceplates for different configurations.

I used it with two shields on an Uno R3. I had the SparkFun SpectrumShield and Adafruit NeoPixel RGB Matrix Shield and it fit perfectly.

They also have a case for the Mega form factor, https://solarbotics.com/product/60105/.