Battery shield

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
LukeW

Battery shield

Post by LukeW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 am

Here's a product idea.

An Arduino shield which incorporates an attached battery - say a lithium polymer 3.7V cell, which would fit within the footprint of an Arduino. This could be simply plugged into an Arduino to provide wireless battery power on the shield. A boost converter could be included to step the 3.7V back up to 5 V to run the Arduino, and appropriate circuitry could also be added for charging the battery, from a USB connector for example.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Battery shield

Post by jonoxer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 pm

I like that idea. I've thought a few times that it would be good to have a battery/shield combo to make it easy to stick it on an Arduino and have it run autonomously with nothing hanging off it: the usual solution of a battery snap on a 2.1mm DC plug works well enough, but you end up with a heavy battery attached to the Arduino on a short lead so it's not as convenient. Sandwiching a battery pack into an Arduino + shield stack would be more robust.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still haven't completed the battery charger shield that I promised to make after the Arduino Miniconf at LCA2011. I'd like to have it ready to demo at the next Arduino Miniconf, but it's looking difficult right now with so much else going on.
--
Jon

adr1an

Post by adr1an » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 am

I would be pleased to see this too! I've just spent the last two projects building DC Booster circuits for LiPo and a 4xAA solution...

My suggestion, to add the usual 'freetronics' difference - Try and build it with boost circuitry capable of more than 500ma. This might sound alot - but when running LED Strips such as the (in?)famous 5050 Strips they can end up drawing a fair bit alone besides any sensors/displays attached.

I searched high and low - and most offerings seem to do 350-500ma continous - yet it is entirely possible and reasonable to do it such that it could do 750-1amp and with perhaps allowing for appropriate 'upgrades' with heatsinks have it rated to 1.5amp or more.

Given the inevitable move to 3.3V as well - maybe it needs to be buck-boost ?

Throw in the ability to do pass-through charging and you'd have a real handy device there.
And oh - some sort of 'fuel gauge' equivalent - perhaps not the more expensive IC SPI based solution, but maybe rigged with a resistor divide to an analog pin since we are talking shields :)

Of course - the above is entirely based off my own requirements :lol: - but I think it would be a nice competitive advantage as only Pololu have something that does up to 1.5a at present - that I could find anyway two months back

dave

Post by dave » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

I would really love to see a battery 'shield' for the leostick! Something that would boost the voltage from a single AA battery up to the requisite 5v to make it more easily portable would be fantastic.

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 am

dave wrote:I would really love to see a battery 'shield' for the leostick! Something that would boost the voltage from a single AA battery up to the requisite 5v to make it more easily portable would be fantastic.
Single AA cell (1.2-1.5V) up to 5V at a current draw of about 100-150 mA is OK, you can do that easily, but a boost converter that can do 1.2V --> 5.0V at a current output of 500 mA is quite hard indeed, especially if you want the hardware to be simple and cheap.

A 1.2V --> 5.0V boost converter with an efficiency of 80% and an output load of 500 mA draws 2.6 A from the cell. For a 1.2V NiMH cell that has a charge capacity of say 2.0 Ah, it will only last for about 45 minutes anyway under those conditions before the cell needs recharging.

Shaun

Post by Shaun » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:45 am

Hi all

I have spent the last few weeks trying to find an appropriate solution for a project I am currently working on.

For my application, I require:
  • 5v for the Arduino Uno
  • 3.3v for a Blue Tooth module (70mA)
  • lipo Battery charger
  • LiPo battery protection
from a 2600mAh 3.7v LiPo battery

I am surprised that someone hasn't released series of on board solutions. I do not possess the necessary skills to be able to design and make such a board, but I am having a go at it, and progress is slow. I would be interested to watch the development of any solutions here.

Cheers

Shaun

dave

Post by dave » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:36 am

dave wrote:I would really love to see a battery 'shield' for the leostick! Something that would boost the voltage from a single AA battery up to the requisite 5v to make it more easily portable would be fantastic.

So Jon, Marc, can you give us an eta on the USB boost module? I have a couple of projects coming up and using one of these for power could be a great way to keep the size and weight down.