SKU/ part numebers

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
effgee

SKU/ part numebers

Post by effgee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 am

Couldn't find a category to post this, happy if it needs to be moved.

I'm putting together a Bill of Materials, and discovered that there is no part number/unique SKU for Freetronics stuff. I could just use the Jaycar part number, but that suggests tying in to a single supplier.

Any chance of having part numbers as well as descriptions ? Presumably there is already some sort of shorter/non-verbal designator somewhere in the system that can be displayed.

cheers

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: SKU/ part numebers

Post by jonoxer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16 am

Hi @effgee,

We have SKUs for every product that we use internally, and we use them in a few places:

1. Printed on the PCB. Every PCB should have an SKU, usually on the bottom. For example, if you go to the EtherTen page and enlarge the bottom view of the PCB (the last picture in the set) you'll see "SKU: ETHERTEN" on it.

2. Listed in the schematic. All schematics should have the SKU marked in the info box in either the bottom right or bottom left corner. If they don't, please let me know so I can fix it!

3. They also used to be listed on every product page on our site, but with the site theme change a little while ago that seems to have been lost. It definitely needs to be visible there, but it isn't at the moment, so I'll fix that.

Thanks for the suggestion!
--
Jon

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 am

Done. I changed the site template to display all available SKUs for each product at the bottom under the description. Some products have more than one, for example the Receiver Shield that has one SKU for each frequency variant.

If you see any product pages now that don't have SKUs visible please let me know and I'll fix it.
--
Jon

effgee

Post by effgee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 am

Awesome, thanks.
Glad to see it only took you half an hour to do.

btw, congrats on the full double page spread of Freetronics products in the latest Jaycar junk mail, hope it generates lots of business for you.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks @efgee!

I haven't seen the latest Jaycar flier yet, I'll check it out. And yes, it does generate a lot of business!
--
Jon