How to Un-Brick a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive with an Eleven

Showcase your projects! We love to see what people come up with, so please share your creations here.

How to Un-Brick a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive with an Eleven

Postby rapslogan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:55 am

Hi All,

Not a project in the conventional sense but I thought i'd throw it out there. There is a well known fault with a series of 7200.11 Seagate hard drives where the hard drive effectively decides it is permanently busy and is no longer recognisable by the bios.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207951en/?language=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Who new you needed to update your hard drive firmware... Not I and so the other night I lost my primary documents drive. Critical work and an unhappy wife led me on a crawl across the web for a solution.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. I've gathered these instructions from other places and successfully followed them to repair my own drive. I do not guarantee that they will work for you. Proceed at your own risk.

I managed to find one: https://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/. The only unfortunate issue is I could not get the USB to UART adapter I needed in a time for the work docs or the unhappy wife's vet exams (long weekend and all). The joy of living in isolated small town New Zealand.

The good news is that I managed to get an Eleven to act as my USB to UART adapter. I simply removed the 328P micro controller. Tested it via a loop test. I made a couple of connectors and plugged the rx on the eleven to the tx on the hard drive and vice versa for the other. No ground or power required. I then followed through the instructions via the Microsoft Hyper terminal. The only variation to the linked instructions was that I could not enter the final line of code: m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. So I unplugged the controller at the USB and reconnected, I then reopened the hyper terminal and navigated to Level 3 (/3) then entered the final line of code. All good - no data loss.

Happy wife, therefore very happy me and all of my data back up and accessible. Quick cheap off the shelf easy fix and as a bonus I still have an Eleven to play with.

So the moral of the story is apparently: be omnipotent and know that you needed to upgrade the firmware on your Seagate hard drives.... If not try the above.

Goodtimes and good luck.
Attachments
DSC_9249.JPG
My Setup
rapslogan

Re: How to Un-Brick a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive with an Ele

Postby atreidae » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 am

A customer of mine thanks their lucky stars that you posted this thread..(and I gave into my inner geekyness and bought an arduino)

Ironically I found out about this Seagate issue after purchasing the EXPKIT and reading through the forums.. Storing in my memory banks for later use.

Customer comes to me today, "Hard drive is dead, Company I sent it to said they couldn't get anything from it"

Notice its a Seagate, wont detect in BIOS or on a USB converter. Check the model number and its an affected model (actually jumped on Freetronics to find this thread!)

Did a hunt round for a current copy of the serial checker, found one that gave inconclusive results (apparently the firmware on the drive was released today), figured the drive was dead and I'd give it a shot anyway.

Followed the previous fourm post and the associated link, I must have gotten the TX/RX backwards as i needed to swap them round.

One thing i will say, wait for the user partition format to complete.. it can pop out a few messages with a fair few seconds gap before the "Complete" line..

Code: Select all
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

Thanks a bunch, If you're ever near East Kew Jaycar, PM me. We owe you a beer!
atreidae

Re: How to Un-Brick a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive with an Ele

Postby atreidae » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 am

I should point out, Ive been able to do this today with the Freetronics USB to Serial converter as well..
No need to touch anything on the AtMega16u2. worked at 3.3v on a 7200.12
atreidae

Return to Project Showcase