Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Showcase your projects! We love to see what people come up with, so please share your creations here.

Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Postby Attreyu » Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am

Hi guys, I'm currently developing an omni directional treadmill that would let the user browse virtual environments in corelation with the Oculus Rift. The project is almost ready and I'm in the final stages of launching the KickStarter campaign BUT I'm stuck at the sensoring part.

I'll explain:

I need 3 sensors that would communicate wirelessly with the PC.

2 of them would be accelerometers, one on each foot. They would detect the horizontal movements of the user - walking. The acceleration and speed are irelevant, I'm interested only in the direction of the movement (forward or backwards). Everything in absolute mode, since the user would walk in place using the treadmill.

The third would be an gyro/accelerometer and would be mounted on the waist, chest or shoulder. It would detect rotational and vertical movements (simple turning, crouching and jumping). For this I would need the speed of the rotation.

Each sensor would need to transmit the data to the computer or to an arduino board connected to the computer and translate it into key presses of choice or mouse movements. The first 2 sensors would only need to be assigned to forward and backwards movement. The third would need to be assigned to mouse left and right movement and to the crouch and jump keys.

It's something like a motion detector converted into a simple PC controller. When you move, the virtual player moves along. Something like an inverted Kinect if you want only much cheaper and precise.

I don't know much about Arduino, I've read on the Xbee shields and transmitters and I know that you can compensate and filter the voltages using a Kalman filter. I also read a bit on the way you can convert the data into key/mouse input but that's about it.

I would really need a helping hand on this. What kind of shields and boards would I need and how would they come together connected ?

Thank you !
Attreyu

Re: Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Postby tronixstuff » Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 am

To be honest if you're going to do a Kickstarter project, hire (or otherwise find) a local engineer.
However - yes - Arduinos such as the Leonardo (and our LeoStick) can emulate a USB keyboard and mouse. So any signals from sensors can easily be converted into a form of PC input. Or the data from the sensors can be sent back to the PC for analysis by software written in Processing, Labview, or your own custom software. So you're on the right track.
tronixstuff
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Postby Attreyu » Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have only one question. Can you mount multiple shields on the LeoStick ? I mean, I think I'll need wireless, can you put an Xbee AND an accelerometer on each LeoStick ?

OR I can I use a multiple USB wifi dock for the three LeoSticks I'll need, each carrying an accelerometer shield on it ?

I need some way to build a 3 node wifi/bluetooth network, each node piggybacking a sensor. After that it's easy.
Attreyu

Postby tronixstuff » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Attreyu wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have only one question. Can you mount multiple shields on the LeoStick ? I mean, I think I'll need wireless, can you put an Xbee AND an accelerometer on each LeoStick ?

OR I can I use a multiple USB wifi dock for the three LeoSticks I'll need, each carrying an accelerometer shield on it ?

I need some way to build a 3 node wifi/bluetooth network, each node piggybacking a sensor. After that it's easy.

You can connect what you like to the LeoStick as long as there isn't any pin conflicts. E.g. the accelerometer might use analogue pins 3,4,5 - something else uses 6 & 7 - etc. Can't say I've heard of someone using two or more at once as keyboard emulators, however it's possible as long as your PC can deal with it.
tronixstuff
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Return to Project Showcase