GucciDuino

Showcase your projects! We love to see what people come up with, so please share your creations here.
PistachioPony

GucciDuino

Post by PistachioPony » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:39 am

I had heard that many people get headaches when the humidity rises so I came up with the pseudoscientific idea to put together a sensor on an arduino that would log a snapshot of the time/date/temperature/humidity at the push of a button. I am hoping to see what kind of pattern I get as the afflicted pushes the button and logs the data when a headache is coming on.
I found an old Gucci eyeglasses case and everything fit inside perfectly. I mean the Arduino is Italian so, why not? I think it really gives it a fashion-able look. (Its actually a Freeduino) 8-)
You can check out the pics and details at my site pistachiopony.com
hope you like it!

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: GucciDuino

Post by jonoxer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:35 am

That's an interesting application, and I like the "let's test this theory by acquiring some data" approach.

How does the participant carry the device? I imagine if they had it in their pocket the humidity readings would be quite skewed, and would also lag behind reality a lot. Ideally the SHT15 sensor should be open to the air and worn somewhere on the outside of the participant's clothing.

I'll be very interested to see the resulting data.
--
Jon

PistachioPony

Post by PistachioPony » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

The device is carried around in a purse or pocket, the instructions I gave are: When you feel a headache coming on, pull the Gucciduino out, open the case, wait a minute and then flick the switch on, wait least 20 seconds up to a minute or more if you want and then flick the switch off.
The glasses case was the only thing I found to put the arduino in that opened and closed so that I could have the sensor exposed to the air before the data was logged.
It isn't really scientific though because to really get good data ideally the device should be on all the time collecting and then have a way of collecting the specific data for when the headaches occur. That way you have data of humidity etc when the headaches occurred and when they did not. This device only collects the data when they occurred.
This was my first soldering and programming project after getting an LED to blink ! I know I was in WAY over my head but I loved the idea - I didn't know how to hack it to use anything other than a 9V battery, that's why I chose this less scientific route and chose to just have fun with the idea.
My next idea is to make a compass bracelet using a microcontroller, Compass sensor and LED's to improve my sense of direction. I have lots of ideas, so I hope I win so I can have more stuff to play with!
Any ideas or suggestions for Gucciduino improvement or Compass bracelet are greatly appreciated!

EpicTinker

Post by EpicTinker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm

I think it'd be cool to add a GPS module to this, so it can capture the location/time. After all, if you look at the logs, and all of the entries are around 1am, and next to your fav pub, it may not be the temp/humidity giving you the headaches :)

PistachioPony

Post by PistachioPony » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:32 am

:lol: That's funny!! I think a GPS would be really cool to add to it! ... In my case, I'm sure it would show most of those headaches occur between Mon-Thurs 9-5 ... I may need to create a Pain-In-The-Ass Logger while I'm at it...