optifix and etherten

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
proudy

optifix and etherten

Post by proudy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 am

Hi, I've reached the 28.6k limit on the Etherten. I've tried installing the optiboot bootloader using optifix.pde but I'm pretty sure that its not loading because the etherten uses the spi pins D10 thru D13. Is there another way to load the the optiboot bootloader?

Thanks

Neil

proudy

Re: optifix and etherten

Post by proudy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:16 am

I managed to upload the optifix bootloader using an uno to etherten. Wouldn't work with etherten to etherten.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Proudy, I don't quite follow what you meant in that last post. What do you mean by using an Uno? Did you set up the Uno as an AVR programmer and connect it to the ICSP header on the EtherTen?
--
Jon

proudy

Post by proudy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am

Hi Jon,

I'm new to all this, but I followed the instructions from optfix which is to use the uno as an AVR ISP to upload the optiboot loader to the Etherten. It worked, but not if I used the Etherten (I have 2 Etherten's). I wired it using the instructions at http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP.

Whilst I am it, I've developed an application to control my telescope over the web (http://www.neilproud.info/) using the etherten. I want to distrubute the hex file , but not the source code, so how can I load a hex file directly to the etherten?

Many thanks,

Proudy

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 am

If you've got an AVR wired up to some peripheral SPI device (like the EtherTen's ethernet chip) and you attempt to program the AVR over the ISP header sometimes you get problems because the AVR puts the pin that you're using for CS for the SPI device into a high-Z state and that device kind interferes with the programming over the SPI bus.

The solution is to put a hardware pull-up (say 10k) on the SPI peripherals' CS lines to make sure they're always de-asserted when the microcontroller is in a funny state during ISP programming.

I'm not sure if the EtherTen has such a resistor though, I would have to check the schematic.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:26 am

Zoyla1 wrote:3rd thing I want to verify is not really an problem but I just want to make sure that the EtherTen (and maybe the coming EtherMega) works with the PoE 802.3af regulator that you sell.
Yes they are all compatible.