ESP-01 Shield with EtherTen?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
mclass

ESP-01 Shield with EtherTen?

Post by mclass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm

I have just received an ESP shield and a module, proposing to use it with an existing EtherTen board in my home automation project.

The "serial reflector" sketch provided in the quick start guide for the shield works fine. With this sketch I can communicate with the ESP module on the shield and using AT commands can identify wifi networks in the area and do some basic configuration (eg change mode). I am therefore confident that the shield and module are probably OK.

However, when I use the example wifi sketches in the Arduino IDE (eg ScanNetworks) I get the dreaded "wifi shield not present" warning.

After scratching my head, and hunting through the web, I have been unable to find anything specific, but I suspect that the ethernet comms probably use the same pins as the wifi shield wishes to use. Whilst the shield (and the reflector sketch) allow for reconfiguration of Rx and Tx pins, the sample sketch, and the sketch I am trying using to interface to my Indigo system make no such provision. BTW, the Indigo plugin works just fine when the EtherTen is connected to my network via ethernet.

Is there a known/suggested workaround, or should I just go and buy an Eleven?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: ESP-01 Shield with EtherTen?

Post by andrew » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:16 pm

The examples sketches in the IDE (from File>Examples>WiFi) are for the Arduino-branded WiFi shield (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield) not ESP8266.

Any sketch with the ESP8266 via the shield will only send and receive AT commands. Review http://rancidbacon.com/files/kiwicon8/E ... _1.0.4.pdf to get some ideas of what is possible. This will then be fine with your EtherTen.

mclass

Re: ESP-01 Shield with EtherTen?

Post by mclass » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:54 am

Thanks for the prompt response.

I guess that's one of the issues of being on the "bleeding edge" :roll: