trouble with arduino-tftpboot, no pin 9 blink

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
melias

trouble with arduino-tftpboot, no pin 9 blink

Post by melias » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm trying to follow the instructions here, http://www.freetronics.com/pages/how-to ... -a-network for flashing the arduino-tftpboot bootloader with ArduinoISP. The instructions state,
5. You can confirm the bootloader has been burned successfully by connecting an LED and resistor between ground and pin 9 on your Arduino.

Immediately after the bootloader has been burned it will blink the LED at a rate of about once per second until you upload a sketch via TFTP. Once a sketch has been uploaded the LED will only blink for about three seconds after a reset/power-on (indicating the bootloader is waiting for a TFTP connection) before it stops and the uploaded sketch is executed.
but I don't get any LED blinking. I understand pin 9 to mean the Arduino's digital pin 9 as used in the IDE, AFAIK pin 9 on the chip is one of the crystal pins. So it seems it's not flashing correctly or my bootloader download is bad but it's definitely doing something because the bootloader no longer functions like a factory Uno bootloader. Also, when I connect an ethernet shield, the bootloader does not initialize the ethernet connection. So then I am able to flash the stock bootloader and confirm that it then does work again like a stock arduino Uno.

Is there something I'm missing or are the instructions old/incorrect? Any other troubleshooting tips?

I believe my ArduinoISP connections are good, I made a small ISP shield so it's easy to connect/disconnect frequently. The shield has LEDs installed according to the ISP sketch except that LED_PMODE is on pin A0. The LEDs blink pretty much the same way for flashing either bootloader.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: trouble with arduino-tftpboot, no pin 9 blink

Post by angusgr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:06 am

Hi Melias,

Sorry to hear it's not working. Here's a few things that might help you work out what's going on:

- You should be able to confirm flashing is working properly by turning on "Verbose output during... upload" in the File -> Preferences dialog in the Arduino IDE. If you can flash the Uno bootloader back onto it OK then that probably handles that, though.

- Do the board and Ethernet Shield work OK together for normal applications?

- Digital pin 9 on the Arduino (or shield in this case) is indeed the pin to check.

- Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? The guide was written a little while ago but should definitely work with 1.0.x, possibly with 1.5.x.

Please let us know how you go,

Angus

melias

Post by melias » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm

I am using ERW 1.0.5. I also tried the ariadne bootloader, I believe it's supposed to flash pin 9 too but I didn't get that either. With the ariadne bootloader I did get the LED to light up from pin 13, 12 & 10. (Or 13, 11 & 10) though for some reason I didn't test it with the shield installed. Overall, these two bootloaders are not quite what I'm looking for though, I'd like ethernet uploads but using the Arduino IDE instead of doing the extra command line stuff. I am also working on an Arduino ethernet-serial server to monitor the serial debug port and upload sketches via ethernet all through the IDE. Check out my post here. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=224837.0 I would pretty much have it working quite well except I need to modify the IDE's upload procedure slightly, mainly insert a command to transmit a reboot code via serial and a short delay right before it starts uploading.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 pm

One other thing (as well as the other points I asked about) to note is that the ethernet port lights should come on if a link is detected, even if the ethernet hardware isn't being addressed at all by the Arduino. The only exception is when the reset button is held down and the Wiznet W5100 chip goes into reset mode.

melias

Post by melias » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks for the replies angusgr!

So, I flashed the Uno bootloader, successfully uploaded a sketch via usb to blink pin 9, plugged in an ethernet shield and the port LEDs do light up.

Then, I flashed the arduino-tftpboot bootloader, plugged in an ethernet shield and the port LEDs do not light up. I also connected a LED/resistor from pin 9 to GND, it only lights up briefly at power up, then it goes out regardless of how I power it (usb/poe/barrel jack). So I did not further investigate any possible LAN connections as no ethernet connection is detected by the shield or my network switch.

Then, I flashed the ariadne bootloader, successfully uploaded a sketch via usb to blink pin 9, plugged in an ethernet shield and the port LEDs do light up. Also, pin 9 lights during the initial bootloader startup phase, then starts running the sketch and blinking after a few seconds.

I went through this process twice with the same results. I'm thinking my boot loader flashing procedure is good, but I just can't get the arduino-tftpboot bootloader to work. Now that I've typed this all out, I'm going to re-download it and try again.

melias

Post by melias » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Re-downloading the bootloader did not help.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi melias,

Does the Ariadne bootloader work over TFTP as well?

- Angus

mcmenon

Post by mcmenon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:37 pm

I am stuck at the same point melias seemed to be before he disappeared.

I am able to use my programmer to flash programs to the arduino. I am able to get the IDE to claim that it has successfully burned the bootloader. I know that pin 9 is functional and drives enough current to light up the LED. However, when I try to burn the bootloader from this example:

http://www.freetronics.com.au/pages/how ... 4aGn-grK00

I am unable to get pin 9 to blink as it is supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mcmenon

Post by mcmenon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:42 am

Further information: I moved on from that point and I was able to

- get IDE to tell me I had burned bootloader
- upload code to set network settings
- get IDE to once again tell me I had burned bootloader
- connect to the arduino via ethernet at the network settings I previously set

This suggests to me that the bootloader might be burning properly. However, later I was unable to use tftp to upload any code via ethernet, again following the instructions from the tutorial the OP linked.

So either something is wrong with the bootloader and this is indicated by the pin not flashing, or something is wrong somewhere else because I can't load via ethernet.

Any help is appreciated!

melias

Post by melias » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 am

I was never able to get mine working.