[Solved] Dodgy soldering on EtherTen?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
IanTaylor
[Solved] Dodgy soldering on EtherTen?

Post by IanTaylor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:53 am

Is there a batch of EtherTen boards with deficient soldering of the USB socket? I bought a board from Jaycar a couple of weeks back and left it in the box until yesterday. Got the thing going ok and ran a few sketches. After a few insertion/removal cycles the USB socket fell off the board. On investigation it turns out that while the electrical solder joints were ok, the mechanical bonds to the board were absent. My plan is to return the unit to Jaycar and request a replacement as I figure as the retailer my contract is with them.

If the replacement also lacks the mechanical joints would I void my warranty if I applied a touch of solder. I can supply photos by email of the defective board together with what I take to be a correctly soldered Freetronics Eleven for comparison. The EtherTen clearly exhibits the gold plated location holes for the USB socket with no trace of solder. Cant attach the photos as they are too big for forum submission.

Regards
Ian Taylor

tonym

Re: [Solved] Dodgy soldering on EtherTen?

Post by tonym » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:45 am

Just had a board with exactly the same problem, also from JayCar. Unfortunately, I made it worse, attempting to fix it and now the connector has come right off so a photo probably isn't much use at this stage. Pity I didn't look here before mucking with it!

phillipwilliams64

Post by phillipwilliams64 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 am

i just had the same happen to me i was unpluging the usb cable and the connector came off on the end of the cable :o

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:40 am

phillipwilliams64 wrote:i just had the same happen to me i was unpluging the usb cable and the connector came off on the end of the cable :o
I've sent you a direct message.

DannyV

Post by DannyV » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 am

Hi,
I've also had one of these come off - the surface mount usb connector came off with the cord.
I bought a new one while I decided what to do with the broken one ( I need two anyway).
I can't post private messages yet (I've only just joined the site).
Cheers,
Danny

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am

DannyV wrote:Hi,
I've also had one of these come off - the surface mount usb connector came off with the cord.
I bought a new one while I decided what to do with the broken one ( I need two anyway).
I can't post private messages yet (I've only just joined the site).
Cheers,
Danny
Please email support@freetronics.com

DannyV

Post by DannyV » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 am

Thanks for resolving that for me John, Great follow up service. :D

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 am

DannyV wrote:Thanks for resolving that for me John, Great follow up service. :D
You're welcome :)