MicroSD card slot support MicroSDHC?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
mrfishie
MicroSD card slot support MicroSDHC?

Post by mrfishie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:35 am

Hello. I recently got my new EtherTen, and I also purchased a MicroSDHC card to go with it. However, I was wondering if the EtherTen actually supports SDHC, or if it will only work with normal Micro SD cards.

mrfishie

Re: MicroSD card slot support MicroSDHC?

Post by mrfishie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 am

tronixstuff wrote:The Arduino library determines the card type you can use.
For microSDHC cards use
https://code.google.com/p/sdfatlib/
When you use the library be sure to use
sd.begin(4);
as the EtherTen's microSD card socket's chip select line is digital 4. There's more on this in the library's readme file.
Awesome! Will the built-in SD library work? (apparently it is based off sdfatlib)

pforperry

Post by pforperry » Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 pm

tronixstuff wrote:
mrfishie wrote:
tronixstuff wrote:The Arduino library determines the card type you can use.
For microSDHC cards use
https://code.google.com/p/sdfatlib/
When you use the library be sure to use
sd.begin(4);
as the EtherTen's microSD card socket's chip select line is digital 4. There's more on this in the library's readme file.
Awesome! Will the built-in SD library work? (apparently it is based off sdfatlib)
From memory I don't think so. I'm out of the office for a few days so can't try it. No harm in trying it yourself.
Guys,

Where can I find a key to help me understand the following response provided by the "SdFat SdInfo" example sketch?

SdFat version: 20131225

type any character to start

card.init failed
SD errorCode: 0X1
SD errorData: 0X0

type any character to start

I have just purchased my first EtherTen and would like to set it up as a data logger after playing with serial printing sensor data to PC with an Eleven. I received the response after inserting a 4Gb microSDHC into the holder and otherwise following the previous instructions (mind you I could not find where to modify the sd.begin(4); code in the sketch). The troubleshooting.txt document that came with the libraries gives some hints but I am not confident in my interpretation.

Cheers

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 am

If you are using the SD library, the CS line is set with

Code: Select all

const int chipSelect = 4; 
If you are using the SDfat library, look for the line

Code: Select all

const uint8_t SdChipSelect = SS;
and change SS to 4.

pforperry

Post by pforperry » Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 am

johnb wrote:
and change SS to 4.
Thanks johnb,

I appreciate your reply.

I had previously found and modified that line of code to no positive effect. Are there any clues in the error codes that might help me understand the problem?

Alternatively, how else might I best troubleshoot this problem. Some background:
  • The EtherTen is brand new
    Arduino 1.0.5-r2 on Windows7 is working fine for my Eleven (I am using this device to test all the sensors)
    Samsung MMB3R04GUACA-GE card taken directly from a Galaxytab GTP-1000 and inserted "as-is" into the EtherTen device, formatted as per the Galaxytab file system (?) and with old files and folders still written to it.
    No other connections except the USB to computer
Buying a new non-HC card is easy but not my first preference...it lacks a kind of satisfaction that only days of perseverance can provide.

Cheers

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sun May 25, 2014 5:31 am

If you haven't already done so, please format the card to FAT16 and try again.
Also - silly question, my apologies in advance :) when you push the card into the socket, does it spring-lock in? That is you push it in and it springs back a little - but stays in.

pforperry

Post by pforperry » Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks again johnb,

Yes to both, but my challenge still remains.

I have even tried a new card (non-hc) as a sanity check but it returns the same error (see attached image in case I have missed something obvious on the board). This new card doesn't even register when using the SD CardInfo sketch.

Cheers
Attachments
picture_etherten.jpg
EtherTen with microSD card inserted

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Mon May 26, 2014 9:40 pm

pforperry wrote:Thanks again johnb,

Yes to both, but my challenge still remains.

I have even tried a new card (non-hc) as a sanity check but it returns the same error (see attached image in case I have missed something obvious on the board). This new card doesn't even register when using the SD CardInfo sketch.

Cheers
Oh OK. The next option is that you have a faulty board. Please email support@freetronics.com.

pforperry

Post by pforperry » Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Bugger, I was hoping to find a solution but I will contact the support guys in any case to see what they think.

Cheers

pforperry

Post by pforperry » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks johnb,

I appreciate your help and the Freetronics fast replacement service.

The new board works a treat and has been saving data around the clock as I calibrate my thermistors. I am now looking towards the Ethernet and integrated POE connection...this is an amazing little board.

Cheers.