disable blue led

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
beno

disable blue led

Post by beno » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:40 am

Hi, is it possible to turn off the blue LED on the Etherten when using the Ethernet port?

ngp99

Re: disable blue led

Post by ngp99 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 am

I think its the power status light that you are referring to. I guess you could paint it over with boot polish.

Paul B.

Post by Paul B. » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 am

Perhaps more to the point, a black marker pen. The trick is you would actually need to "paint" over the sides of the LED as well since it is in a completely clear encapsulation. To remove marker pen, you need to use mineral turps - in this case with a cotton bud.

On the other hand, if you are begrudging the two or three milliamps that the LED consumes, then your only option is to unsolder the LED itself - which will likely be destroyed in the process. Its drive resistor is part of the SD card interface, so you cannot remove that.

It is certainly true that blue LEDs are hard on the eyes. They are included simply to look "modern" since they (along with fluorescent white LEDs which are internally blue to start with) are the most recent ones available. Presumably white LEDs are not used for power indicators because they would not provide a colour contrast in daylight. :)

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 am

Paul B. wrote:Perhaps more to the point, a black marker pen.
Oh, Gawd, is that the voice of experience speaking?

I have a LED in the phone charger in the car that lights the way down the road, and no amount of black marker pen will fix it. No, I'm afraid I haven't tried boot polish on it, but anything has to be better than black marker pen......

beno

Post by beno » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Bluetack seems to be a bit cleaner than boot polish

Cheers
Ben