EtherTen running hot

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
nitram

EtherTen running hot

Post by nitram » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am

I am powering my EtherTen with a 9V 500mA regulated switchmode plugpack and the board gets very very hot around the main chip and voltage regulator. It is almost too hot to touch and at first I thought I had a faulty board. I took it back to Jaycar where I bought it and they were kind enough to replace it with a new one. However the new one is no different as it too runs very very hot. Does anyone else out there experience this or am I just unlucky?
Regards

ngp99

Re: EtherTen running hot

Post by ngp99 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 pm

If you are worried about that, don't even think of using a 12v wall charger. I found it quite distressing and God only knows how it would go running for weeks in a closed box, but at least I now know I'm not alone.

I have ordered a couple of 7.5v power supplies off eBay. This is the number 320994459740

I have tried adaptingt a 5.3v phone charger. Unsurprisingly, the heat is about the same as using the USB port but it becomes unreliable as soon as I start using the ethernet. It would probably be just fine if it was connected directlythrough the USB port.

Humpadilly

Post by Humpadilly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Glad to see im not the only one here! I have been using freetronics POE Midspan injector and it also gets really hot! http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... jector-4ch I am actually worried about it catching fire!

did anyone manage to figure out a way to fix this?

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 am

OK I think that device just moves the problem rather than solve it, and the golden rule still applies, which is - Do your voltage dropping somewhere else.

I was looking at putting my gear in a Clipsal weatherproof GPO box. I guess I need to think again, or drill quite a few ventilation holes. Fortunately, this was just for dust and dirt.
My USB from the PC seems barely adequate but the EtherTen gets warm even when fed by just that.

I have my Etherten just sitting on my desk, running two DS18B20 thermometers. One is loose and the other is underneath the board, separated by a piece of paper. The difference is eleven degrees.

This site might be of interest -
http://arduinoetcetera.blogspot.com.au/ ... ation.html

The EtherTen looks like it is powered by POE. It is in an expensive Jaycar sealed box, and his temp sensor was in there too - big mistake. I guess it all OK now, though.

csconsulting

Post by csconsulting » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am

You can also power them directly with a 5 volt regulator on the 5 volt line. Plenty of those kind of PSU's are around.

effgee

Post by effgee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 am

I finally powered up an etherten last night (having had it sit around in a box for 6 months). I ran the webserver demo code, all worked fine, but man does that wiznet chip run hot! I'd guess around 55degrees, can hold a fingertip on it, but only just without pain.

I then loaded some other code that doesn't use the ethernet at all, and it still ran hot. I'm running off a USB wallwart, fully ventilated (sitting on laminate desktop, no case at all). Is this normal ? I'd be a little concerned about running this in an enclosure, especially with >5V power supply.

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am

What you are seeing is pretty normal. I too saw a notable change in temperature at the regulators when the Ethernet was brought into service.

I'm not sure how you are running the Etherten at the moment, but 5v is not enough unless you are putting it directly onto the Vin pin. As soon as you get round to giving it some serious work to do, and you will probably be doing that quicker with an Etherten than with most Arduinos, you will need more volts. This is so the regulators can properly regulate.

Sleurhutje

Post by Sleurhutje » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Get rid of the regular voltage regulator. It converts all unnecessary power into heat. By removing or bypassing the regulator and use a switched mode regulator, there's minimal heat dissipation (just like the 802.3af PoE regulator does).

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2120

effgee

Post by effgee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Sleurhutje wrote:Get rid of the regular voltage regulator
what regulator ? I was powering from USB, surely that just goes 5V -> 5V, bypassing the regulator.

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 am

I don't think it does, and I believe that is why the USB supply can be a bit more marginal than one would think.