How do I make the on-line thermometer work?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
ngp99

How do I make the on-line thermometer work?

Post by ngp99 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 am

I have made up a proto board with two DS18B20s and all is well with that.

I have loaded and run the Dhcp address printer and seen a result on the screen. From this I conclude that my EherTen is functioning properly and properly connected.

The only modification I have madse to the code is to the mac and IP sections as below, and to strip out the extra sensors, as I only have two.

Code: Select all

static uint8_t mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xEE };
static uint8_t ip[] = { 192,168,0,193 };
static uint8_t myPort = 80; // Listen port for tcp/www (range 1-254)
The sketch compiles and loads fine. From this, I conclude the code is kosher, and that I have the libraries SPI, Ethernet, and WebServer.h all present and correct.

So what do I do now? The instructions assume accessing the IP address with the browser is obvious and straightforward, but I'm a newbie, and it isn't.

jebz

Re: How do I make the on-line thermometer work?

Post by jebz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

ngp99 wrote:So what do I do now? The instructions assume accessing the IP address with the browser is obvious and straightforward, but I'm a newbie, and it isn't.
Put the following in your browser address bar -
http://192.168.0.193

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks. I got a result using IE7. I had tried that with both IE7 and Firefox before, but no joy with either. Now I can get a response with both. I guess I have to put this down to pilot error but I have no idea what has changed to enable me to get it to work....

Now, how do I read this remotely?

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks, a great wealth of information. Logging into my Linksys modem, it appears that the IP address is not static but varies over 253 addresses changing within 48 hours. I understand this is determined by my ISP. I am more interested in other people hosting my Ethertens anyway so I guess I need to look ar No-IP and the like, they being more universal.

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:51 pm

I am still just accessing the EtherTen on my own LAN but I have been able to consistently do it from a bookmark in Firefox over the last few days, so that is pretty good.

However, when I first access it on power-up in the morning, it seems that the first temperature readings are always 85.00 for both probes. If I click About and then return to Data, it will always give a reading that looks right and will do so for the rest of the day.