Using pin 13 on the shield

Drive a 4-wire bipolar stepper motor or a pair of DC motors from your Arduino. [Product page]
chelios

Using pin 13 on the shield

Post by chelios » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:54 am

Without the shield, I've used pin 13 as an output (to power an LED)... which worked fine

However, using the same setup but with the motor shield in place, I can't seem to get an LED to light up from pin 13.

Any thoughts on why this might be?
Is the shield doing something that prevents pin 13 being used as an output?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Using pin 13 on the shield

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:05 am

The HBRIDGE shield doesn't use D13 for anything, it just passes through the headers like any other protoshield. Can you please tell me more about how you have the external LED connected?

chelios

Post by chelios » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 am

Hi johnb

I figured that would be the case... it's quite a mystery.

I have the anode of the LED connected to pin 13 through a 220-ohm resistor. The cathode is connected directly to ground.

I have another LED connected similarly to pin 12, and it works fine.

I've swapped the LEDs, the resistors, even the connecting wires to try and eliminate any potential issues... but these all work fine in pin 12, and they don;t work in pin 13.

I can see the onboard pin 13 LED lighting up when the external LED should... and I've checked the code.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 am

chelios wrote:Hi johnb

I figured that would be the case... it's quite a mystery.

I have the anode of the LED connected to pin 13 through a 220-ohm resistor. The cathode is connected directly to ground.

I have another LED connected similarly to pin 12, and it works fine.

I've swapped the LEDs, the resistors, even the connecting wires to try and eliminate any potential issues... but these all work fine in pin 12, and they don;t work in pin 13.

I can see the onboard pin 13 LED lighting up when the external LED should... and I've checked the code.
Must be a dud connector then. If you got the shield from Jaycar you can exchange it there, or email support@freetronics.com for a replacement.