Position of the 10 pin connector

128x128 pixel 1.5" full colour OLED display with MicroSD card slot. [Product page]
jtate

Position of the 10 pin connector

Post by jtate » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Hello,

We want to mount the display on a 10 pin header on our PCB.
Can you post the dimensions of the position of the 10 pin header?

Thanks

jtate

Re: Position of the 10 pin connector

Post by jtate » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:00 pm

We found it, no worries

BobTindo

Post by BobTindo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi jtate,
jtate wrote:We found it, no worries
Are you able to inform me where you found header position measurements ?

So far I have only located the overall board dimensions posted here by "angusgr", but this does not have header position measurements.
I too am wanting to mount this display onto a PCB and have created an Eagle CAD library component of it but my header position is possibly inaccurate due to using a ruler to measure its position.

Thanks,..

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 am

Hi Bob,

Measured from the edges of the PCB, the centre of "pin 1" on the header (ie the pin closest to the corner) is 9.8mm x 1.9mm. However there may be some variation (I'd give +/-0.1mm) on individual modules, due to variation in the routed edges of the OLED PCB and also the exact position of the pin header in the PCB holes.

Does that gel with the measurements you took?

This variation is the reason I didn't put the exact pin header distances on the dimensioned diagram, although maybe I should add them anyhow.

Angus

BobTindo

Post by BobTindo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:58 am

Hi Angus,

Thanks for your reply.

The Eagle library component I created uses 10.4mm x 1.7mm which is a little over the suggested +/- 0.1 tolerances from your measurements. Understand the possible variations in manufacturing, but the difference prompted me to go find some calipers and check again.
It's certainly not too easy to get calipers in there for super-accurate measurements but this time I came up with 10.1mm x 2.08mm (to the centre of pin 1) so might effectively split the difference between your and my measurements and go with 10.0 x 2.0mm - nice round numbers.
I have not committed my PCB to manufacture yet so have time to correct my library component.

Surely you have access to the original PCB layout design files as I see both your & Marc's names on the silkscreen overlay and this would be the most precise location to get measurements from!

Cheers,
Bob

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:27 am

Wow, that's quite a difference. Maybe I should reassess the tolerance I gave to +/- 0.25mm.

Thanks for doing the due diligence of checking the measurements again!
BobTindo wrote: Surely you have access to the original PCB layout design files as I see both your & Marc's names on the silkscreen overlay and this would be the most precise location to get measurements from!
We do, in fact that's how I got the numbers I gave you (it's an open source design so everyone can access the KiCAD design files). I just checked them again and those measurements are correct as per the design.

However unfortunately this is an example of the difference between precision and accuracy. We provide precise dimensions to the factory, but exactly where they route the edges of the PCB and also where they place the pin headers in the sockets is a contributing factor to the accuracy. Both these factors may vary slightly from unit to unit.

I think you'll be fine allowing for +/- 0.2mm though. Please let us know how you get on.