Issue with Adafruit SSD1351 display, same with Freetronics?

128x128 pixel 1.5" full colour OLED display with MicroSD card slot. [Product page]
Ranma13

Issue with Adafruit SSD1351 display, same with Freetronics?

Post by Ranma13 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 am

Hello, I have an issue with the Adafruit SSD1351 display that I'm not sure is an inherent issue with the display itself, a defective unit, or otherwise. Since I'm using FTOLED library to drive the Adafruit display, it appears that it's very similar to the Freetronics OLED128 display. My issue is documented in this forum thread:

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=64539

The long and short of it is that I get some 'streaking' in the image when certain colors are displayed in in the same row. I was wondering if someone can confirm if the Freetronics OLED128 also exhibits the same issue, and if so, what could the possible cause be? If the Freetronics display does not exhibit the same issue, I will be picking one up.

Here is the same 128x128 image that you can try for yourself:

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Issue with Adafruit SSD1351 display, same with Freetroni

Post by angusgr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 pm

I haven't tested this image, but I imagine it will look similar on our display as well.

You can see a similar effect in the first image on the FTOLED wiki page:
https://github.com/freetronics/ftoled/wiki

It's a side effect of the OLED technology the display uses. If you look at OLED displays in commercial items, you'll see they almost always use black backgrounds. This is the reason for that, large areas of bright color pick up some "smear" from other pixels in the row. The pixels are always scanned the same way by the hardware, which is why software rotation also rotates the effect.

If you redraw the Nyan Cat with a black background then the effect will go away. It won't be historically Nyan-Accurate, but it will look great. :)

Angus

Ranma13

Post by Ranma13 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:01 am

Thanks, that's what I figured. By the way, I'm the guy who submitted the issue for the bpp bug (danieltian). Even though I'm using the Adafruit display, I like the FTOLED library much better than the one provided by Adafruit because FTOLED has the ability to display different fonts, bitmaps of different bit depths, and a text box feature for faster updates.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:23 am

Glad you like the library, thanks very much for that bugfix. :)