The SD card on the OLED 128 Display

128x128 pixel 1.5" full colour OLED display with MicroSD card slot. [Product page]
chrismugdan
The SD card on the OLED 128 Display

Post by chrismugdan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:14 pm

I am trying an SD card on the display with the examples but I get a card not found error. The SD card is an 8Gbyte card. Is there a limitation on the size of SD card I can use? I have checked the connections to the eleven board I am using and they are all sound and to the correct pins as per the quick start guide. Is there anything else I should check?

Geoffro

Re: The SD card on the OLED 128 Display

Post by Geoffro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:52 am

Hi, mine does not work either..

I did track down this post for another brand that specifies no larger than 1gb and normal SD card, but nowhere in this freetronics manual or here does it state any of that information.

also what file format? FAT? FAT32?

chrismugdan

Post by chrismugdan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks for the info. I was going to try a standard 2Gbyte card but I did not want to purchase it until I had an answer. Can one still buy 1Gbyte cards ;)?

I also tried a couple of the standard SD card examples and it failed on those too.

Geoffro

Post by Geoffro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 am

Well, some bad news and bad news ..

I managed to find myself a 128mb SD card! I formatted it to both FAT and FAT32 and tried the examples provided and no luck :cry:

I have tried everything, I am using the following wiring setup as stated.

1 5V ICSP 2 or 5V Pin
2 GND ICSP 6 or GND Pin
3 SD CS Digital Pin 4 (configurable)
4 SD CD Can leave unconnected
5 MISO ICSP 1
6 MOSI ICSP 4
7 SCK ICSP 3
8 OLED CS Digital Pin 7 (configurable)
9 OLED DNC Digital Pin 2 (configurable)
10 OLED RST Digital Pin 3 (configurable)

I have also tried this modification:

Alternative MicroSD Connections

On a Freetronics Eleven or other Uno-compatible, you can choose Digital Pin 12 intead of ICSP pin 1 for the MISO signal (OLED pin 5.)

This does not work either. All I get is "MicroSD Card not found" printed over and over and over.

If anyone could help us out on this it would be great, I sort of depend on the SD functionality of this OLED to continue my project.

I wont start up a new thread, no ones answered this one yet :)

Thanks in advance.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 am

Hi Geoffro & Chris,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Marc and I have both been busy, and I've been travelling (replying from airport wifi right now.) I promise you'll get quicker replies from now on, though.

The card size itself shouldn't be an issue with recent Arduino SD library versions. I was testing with 2Gb and 4Gb cards without a problem. There are some cards (depending on manufacturer) that have issues getting into SPI mode (this is how the Arduino/OLED communicates with the SD) but it seems pretty rare these days.

I do have some questions about your individual setups though, and some suggestions:

* What Arduino IDE version are you using?
* What Arduino-compatible board are you using (Eleven?)?
* What OS are you formatting the cards from?
* Could you please try the CardInfo example and see how that ends up?
* What kind of cabling are you using to connect the OLED128 to the Arduino?

We have noticed some issues with longer cabling causing the MicroSD card to fail to initialise, so if the cabling is long then it may be worth trying to shorten it down.

Cheers,

Angus

chrismugdan

Post by chrismugdan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the response. I tried a shorter lead, read very short (~70mm) and it works although I think I have broken the flat cable connector when I removed it and put it and replaced it on the shortened cable because I am getting funny artefacts on the screen when I jiggle the cable and at one point it gave me the missing frames message. I shall get another connector and try it again. At least the problem has been found.

Chris

Geoffro

Post by Geoffro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Angus, thanks for the response while travelling, thats dedication :D

* What Arduino IDE version are you using?
Arduino ERW 1.0.5
I had to go to this version because the default version will not run properly under my windows x64, it runs super super slow, the Arduino guys suggested I use that version which performs fine, and all code and parts have not had issues in this version.

* What Arduino-compatible board are you using (Eleven?)?

Eleven, Leostick and also the Ethermega 2560.
So ive tried 2 OLEDs and 3 processors, same result. All wired up in different ways, but nothing unusual, just tried all the different examples from the startup guide.

* What OS are you formatting the cards from?

Windows 7 X64, but have access to Fdisk/Dos formatter and have tried formatting it to FAT in both with the same results.

* Could you please try the CardInfo example and see how that ends up?

I have no Cardinfo example. All I got from your package was:

I don't see one on Github either

https://github.com/freetronics/FTOLED/t ... r/examples

Did I miss something?

* What kind of cabling are you using to connect the OLED128 to the Arduino?

I am using shortened jumpers from PC motherboards, you know the reset, power switch, HDD light etc etc.. I am using those for the ICSP header and I am using the shortest breadboard jumpers I can find for the other connections, but of course have tried using other connectors for the ICSP just incase.

I ordered myself a rasberry pi today, I saw your buck bunny video on youtube and was impressed, will let you know how hooking the same oled to that goes and see if I have similar issues.

I

Jed Hodson

Post by Jed Hodson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 am

Hi Geoffro

The SD library can be found at https://github.com/adafruit/SD. Just put it into your libraries folder.

Geoffro

Post by Geoffro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Jed Hodson wrote:Hi Geoffro

The SD library can be found at https://github.com/adafruit/SD. Just put it into your libraries folder.
Awesome thanks Jed.

I actually have managed to get it working , you were right Angus and Chris. Not only do the length of the wires need to be short, the impedance needs to be a low level also, I was just using wire that was a little too long and too thick. I decided to go again from scratch and remake some very teeny jumper cables and whatnot (I work with pc's all day so I have tonnes of these jumpers, thats why I use them- if only the USB 6 or 8 pin connector didnt have that dang blocked hole! :)

Anyway, thanks for your help all, all up and running now. Chris for the record, I did a straight right click and format to FAT (using windows 7 x64) and worked fine. Now I need to really get the max length out of these cables. I don't know how you got it working with the pc cable at that length, I had to cut mine to about 2 inches before it would start transmitting the SD card data.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Geoffro wrote: I actually have managed to get it working , you were right Angus and Chris. Not only do the length of the wires need to be short, the impedance needs to be a low level also, I was just using wire that was a little too long and too thick. I decided to go again from scratch and remake some very teeny jumper cables and whatnot (I work with pc's all day so I have tonnes of these jumpers, thats why I use them- if only the USB 6 or 8 pin connector didnt have that dang blocked hole! :)
Glad it's working now. :) We'll do some tests and post some solid data on recommended cable lengths over the next week or two, I think you can probably use longer cables than what's shown in your photo, but we'll get some tested numbers soon.

I think you're right that the tiny jumpers may have contributed as well, they're not really an ideal high speed signal path.