Board setup for Arduino 1.5.x and above

An advanced Arduino-compatible board with ATmega1284P and ATmega32u2 MCUs for experienced users. More RAM than a Mega, but in a convenient Uno-style form factor. [Product page]
niels

Board setup for Arduino 1.5.x and above

Post by niels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:37 am

The directory structure for creating new board definitions in the Arduino IDE has changed in version 1.5. If you want to create a definition in the current beta version (1.5.2) follow these steps:

1. Download and install/unzip the IDE
2. Find/create the 'hardware' folder, and create a sub-folder called 'freetronics'
3. Unzip the goldilocks zip file into this directory
4. Rename the goldilocks_20 folder to 'avr' Your directory structure should be 'hardware/freetronics/avr/boards.txt
5. Copy the platform.txt and programmers.txt files from the arduino/avr folder to the freetronics/avr folder
6. Edit the freetronics/avr/platform.txt file and change the name= line from Arduino to Freetronics.
7. Edit the freetronics/avr/programmers.txt file and delete everything (make it empty).
8. Edit the freetronics/avr/boards.txt file and add the following line:

goldilocks_20MHz.upload.tool=avrdude

You should now (after restarting the IDE) see the goldilocks in the list of boards.
Last edited by niels on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Board setup for Arduino 1.5.x and above

Post by jonoxer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:12 am

Great info, thanks @niels!

It's a pity the format isn't backward-compatible, but that's just the way it goes I suppose.
--
Jon

niels

Post by niels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 am

I think the new format is better in the long run. You'll be able to supply a .zip file that creates board definitions for all the freetronics modules that need them, and users can easily install that .zip file even if they have custom definitions from other manufacturers.

Cheers,
Niels

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Hi niels,

Nice work, thanks for sorting out Goldilocks on 1.5.x.

I agree the new board format has a lot going for it. To help smooth the transition, I sent a patch which was accepted a little while ago to allow "new-style" and "old-style" board format directories to coexist in one hardware directory (1.5 ignores the old-style and 1.0.x ignores the new style.)

I actually have a 1.5 board profile for LeoStick ready to release as well, we're just waiting for the 1.5 final release as a few things have changed since the 1.5.2 beta.

- Angus

abisdad

Post by abisdad » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Angus,

I've recently had a new Win 8 machine, and had issues starting Arduino 1.0.5-r2 IDE due to the launch4j error, so have now installed the Arduino 1.5.7 IDE, which works fine.

Moved the LeoStick folder from Arduino\hardware to Arduino\avr\LeoStick so the board shows up in Tools>Board now.

But when I try to compile a program, I get:

Code: Select all

Third-party platform.txt does not define compiler.path. Please report this to the third-party hardware maintainer.
Where can I get a platform.txt for the LeoStick from? (I'm guessing the programmers.txt and boards.txt too)

Thanks,

Rob.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 am

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately we don't have these files available yet, we only support 1.0.x for the LeoStick. Is there any way you can work around the launch4j issue, perhaps install a slightly earlier IDE version?

Angus

bigjsl

Post by bigjsl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 am

Time passes and older hardware drops off from being supported.

This thread died off without an actual resolution.

The Freetronics web site has some links on it for Goldilocks including board profiles for both clock speeds.

Version 1.0.x of Arduino is essentially unusable on a normal Mac as of some time ago. It depends on a version of Java that is finished. It's so bad it has been killed off.

This means you have to run 1.5.x which doesn't seem very compatible with Goldilocks.

If I follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread I find files are missing. I find them missing because I'm trying to combine those instructions with the instructions on the main project page which has two versions of the hardware files.

As of now I'm pretty frustrated.

The essential beauty of Arduino, that you load the software, plug it in and it just works is completely missing in this project.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 am

bigjsl wrote:Time passes and older hardware drops off from being supported.

This thread died off without an actual resolution.

The Freetronics web site has some links on it for Goldilocks including board profiles for both clock speeds.

Version 1.0.x of Arduino is essentially unusable on a normal Mac as of some time ago. It depends on a version of Java that is finished. It's so bad it has been killed off.

This means you have to run 1.5.x which doesn't seem very compatible with Goldilocks.

If I follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread I find files are missing. I find them missing because I'm trying to combine those instructions with the instructions on the main project page which has two versions of the hardware files.

As of now I'm pretty frustrated.

The essential beauty of Arduino, that you load the software, plug it in and it just works is completely missing in this project.
What do you define as a "normal Mac"?
I use Arduino IDE v1.0.6 on my 2012 Mac Mini every day without issue.

bigjsl

Post by bigjsl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:58 am

If I follow the instructions at the top which appear to be for mangling the standard install of 1.5.x using the Goldilocks config files from the Freetronics project page I get the following error compiling the standard empty demo program so I guess they're not much use:

Build options changed, rebuilding all
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/freetronics/avr/cores/arduino/Print.cpp: In member function 'size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper*)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/freetronics/avr/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:44:9: error: 'prog_char' does not name a type
const prog_char *p = (const prog_char *)ifsh;
^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/freetronics/avr/cores/arduino/Arduino.h:8:0,
from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/freetronics/avr/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:26:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/freetronics/avr/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:47:37: error: 'p' was not declared in this scope
unsigned char c = pgm_read_byte(p++);
^
Error compiling.

bigjsl

Post by bigjsl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:00 am

johnb wrote: What do you define as a "normal Mac"?
I use Arduino IDE v1.0.6 on my 2012 Mac Mini every day without issue.
A Mac running an up to date operating system from Apple that doesn't have a security hole you can drive a truck through.