VirtualWire and Cube Conflicts

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
CodeMusic

VirtualWire and Cube Conflicts

Post by CodeMusic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 am

Hello there,
I have two arduinos one is my electronic instrument, and the other my cube4.

I have two 433 rf chips, on for tx and one for rx.

If I set up the code, and do not initialize my cube,
I can receive sent packets.

However, when I have both it and my cube running the following happens:

if I initialize my cube first, then the virtual wire the rf signals are received but any cube commands do not light up LEDs.
If I initialize the virtual write first then the cube, the rf signals are not received but if I send a command to the cube it works.

I was using the cube d5 pin as the rx pin, however, also tried the a0 pin.
(I even set all the unused pin properties in virtual wire like pttPin, and tx <my cube only receives, rx pin)

Has anyone see this happening before?
What could be causing this conflict.... anyone have success with the tx and rx 433 MHz chips
(here is the guide in which I was referring: http://www.instructables.com/id/RF-3154 ... -and-Ardu/ )

CodeMusic

Re: VirtualWire and Cube Conflicts

Post by CodeMusic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Anyone?

I virturalwire uses timerone, can anyone confirm if cube4 does or if it can be disabled. Maybe I can find a way using cube,pause and resume

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: VirtualWire and Cube Conflicts

Post by angusgr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:30 am

The Cube library also uses Timer1 to scan the LEDs. Unfortunately I don't think either library can easily be reconfigured to use a different timer, sorry. The easiest approach may be to use a second Arduino/microcontroller for the 433MHz interactions.