fried the.usb port?

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
odlaw

fried the.usb port?

Post by odlaw » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:21 am

Hi
I am new.to electronics and have done something silly. I tried hooking up an rgb led strip to pulse with cube, but this requires 9v. Normally with arduino this is fine and power gets regulated.
So a little smoke came as soon as I connected 9v battery. Disconnected and now won't recognise usb for very long when I plug in.
Pattern is still stored and comes on briefly but then disconnects.
Any fix beside ordering a new board?

Cheers Matt

odlaw

Re: fried the.usb port?

Post by odlaw » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:45 am

Have noted the cube lights up when I touch the 504C chip next to usb power while plugged in. But it gets too hot to touch real quick.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 am

Hi Matt,

The Cube is only designed to run from USB power - 5V. It doesn't have a "DC In" power source which can regulate down a higher voltage, like a lot of other Arduino-compatible boards.

There is a protection circuit on the cube to try and save it from damage if it takes more than 5V on the USB input, however it looks like it may have failed in this case. Which point did you connect the 9V input to?

The component you're referring to is probably a "polyfuse" which should self-reset over time as long as it wasn't too badly damaged. If smoke has come out then it may be beyond saving, but try leaving it unplugged for a day or so and see if anything changes when you reconnect it.

Angus

odlaw

Post by odlaw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Angus

Thanks for the reply,
I put the cube aside for a while as holidays ended for me early Jan.
Buy when I did finally plug back in, came good after a couple of resets.
:D
Thanks again for detailed answer, will be more less trigger happy with power supply from now on oops: