USB port missing

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
gingy64

USB port missing

Post by gingy64 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:12 am

I have been using the Cube4 on my MacMini and MacBookPro with no problems.
Now when I connect the Cube4, nothing happens and the USB port in the Port selection TAB is now missing! Nothing uploads as it says there is nothing on the COM port.
The blue light is on the bottom of the Cube4.
I have changed cables and USB ports.
I have reinstalled software etc.
When I connect my 'Eleven' board, the USB port can be selected from the PORT tab.
I cannot see an answer in the forums and this is very frustrating and time consuming.
Hoping someone can help.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: USB port missing

Post by angusgr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:14 am

Hi gingy64,

Because the Cube emulates a USB serial port from the running sketch, if the sketch somehow breaks then the Cube can no longer appear as a USB device.

To test this out, press the Reset button on the bottom of the Cube and see if a COM port appears briefly in the Device Manager. This is the bootloader COM port.

You can recover the Cube by pressing "Upload" in the Arduino IDE, then immediately pressing Reset on the Cube. It may take a couple of tries to get the timing right. However, after the first successful upload like this then the COM port should reappear as expected and normal auto-uploading will work agin.

Angus

gingy64

Post by gingy64 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:35 am

Not sure where 'Device Manager' is but I could not see the Cube4 on the System Information >> Hardware >> USB.
Anyway, tried the reset as described and it took a couple of attempts but I was successful in uploading the Test Pattern from the CUBE4 Library.
It now appears in the Tools >> Port tab/ and the LEDs are happily blinking away.
Will keep testing it to ensure it behaves.
Thanks again.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 am

Sorry, I missed that you were running on OS X not Windows - even though it should have been obvious from your post.

Glad you got it working.