Connecting Multiple Cube4's

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
plexus

Connecting Multiple Cube4's

Post by plexus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 am

Hey guys and gals, big fan of Freetronics for awhile now decided to get a Cube4 a few months ago, I've since become addicted to them and intend on using a mass of them for an art installation/music event..

I've been learning about the code and use of libraries etc, but most of all I figured it shouldn't be too difficult to hook 2 Cube4's together so they share the same sketch with eachother and power and run in-sync, etc. Or even to have them sharing power, but being able to run a different sketch on each (It's mainly for lack of wiring, etc i know i could set each one on its own but it requires a power source for each one, I was hoping there might be some way of daisy chaining it.

Thanks in advance, keep building great stuff!

plex

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Connecting Multiple Cube4's

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks for letting us know your opinions :)

You can power more than one cube in various ways, the quick and simple way would be via USB hubs to a main supply; another method could be to just manually wire them each up in parallel via the 5V/GND pins on the PCB. Then when the power is applied they'll each run whatever sketch is on each one.

debenham

Re: Connecting Multiple Cube4's

Post by debenham » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 am

I have just got 2 cubes as well so have begun working on just this issue.
I can link 2 cubes fairly well by chaining power+ground from one to the next, and then using two outputs on the first cube as a SoftwareSerial port connected to the second cube.
I even created a custom command as 'setpixels' that allows me set an entire plane at once.
The problem I'm hitting is in the communication between them.
It seems that while the parseCommand stuff in the library is working the LED's are not being updated.
This means that whenever I try to update the second cube it causes a slight flicker (which gets worse as the framerate rises)
Has anyone managed to modify the library to update the LEDs via an interrupt or some other way to reduce this flicker?