Cube4 Compiler Error/ Missing Driver /Windows8 / IDE 1.0.5

The "Cube4" is a 4x4x4 RGB LED cube with an Arduino Leonardo compatible onboard controller. [Product page]
BiggusD

Re: Cube4 Compiler Error/ Missing Driver /Windows8 / IDE 1.0

Post by BiggusD » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:45 am

In light of my lack of knowledge about computers im going to
A-try plugging the cube in 100 times
B-try removing the drivers and try them all separately etc & on a different computer and..
C-hope that by the time ive finished these steps that u smarter guys have figured out a better solution!
But i was thinking along similar lines... It seems to be the compiler dosent recognise what a cube is, so does the compiler look at the drivers? Or does installing new drivers affect the compiler bit of the program
Or am i getting confused because sometimes i feel like my brain dosent get enough blood supply for some reason
Cheers

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:09 am

BiggusD wrote:It seems to be the compiler dosent recognise what a cube is, so does the compiler look at the drivers? Or does installing new drivers affect the compiler bit of the program
Or am i getting confused because sometimes i feel like my brain dosent get enough blood supply for some reason
Anything's confusing when it's new and unfamiliar. It does lessen over time, I promise... :)

Compiler errors like "cube does not name a type" don't refer to the drivers, the cube here is part of the Cube library rather than the actual device. To confirm this, click the Tick button ("Verify") in the Arduino IDE and check you get the same error as when you click the Arrow button ("Upload"). The verify step doesn't care what you have plugged in, it just tries to compile the source code yu have loaded in the window.

Can you go through the following steps and post the full verbose compiler output, please?
angusgr wrote:please go to File -> Preferences and enable "Show Verbose output when... compiling". Then rerun the compile and copy/paste all the verbose compiler output (you'll have to do a bit of click-and-drag fussing around to select it all unfortunately, resizing the bottom pane will help, and then use Ctrl-C keyboard shortcut to Copy as the Arduino Edit->Copy won't work) and post that as well? It may be quite a lot of output so you may want to use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post a link.

hamster

Post by hamster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,

Here's a quick debugging flow for the CUBE4. I have had no problem with Arduino 1.5.2

The first thing is to check that the Cube4 library works....

* Open the Arduino GUI

* Under Tools/Board menu select "Arduino Leonardo"

* Check that you have the "Cube4" libaray listed in the "Sketch\Import Library" menu option. If not, then extract the files from the Cube4 zip file and add them into the Libraries directory in the Arduino directory. Exit the GUI, restart it and see if it now appears.

* First select "Sketch\Import Library\Cube4". This verifies that the Cube4 library is correctly installed.

Now to build a 'do nothing' sketch (you shouldn't have the Cube4 plugged in unless you want to nuke the self-test program....

* Select "File\New". You should have the default empty sketch open, about 9 lines in length

* Add the following two lines to the top, then click on the button to verify it:

Code: Select all

#include <SPI.h>
  #include <Cube.h>
You should get a message like:

Code: Select all

Binary sketch size: 12,626 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum) - 44% use
If this step fails to verify then you have a problem with the library installation.

Onwards! Now is the time to check that the driver is all working.

* Make sure that the Cube4 is not plugged in.

* See if any ports are available under the Tools/Serial Port option. It is most likely grayed out unless you have a physical serial port on your PC. Take note of what serial ports are installed.

* Plug in the Cube4. Wait a while for the drivers to load (if they are there)

* See if any new port is available under the Tools/Serial Port menu option. If so then your drivers are all in place and working fine. If the port is not available check in device manager. If there is an unknown device update the driver from the one in the Arduino software's driver directory. Unplug the Cube4, plug it back in and try again.

* Select the newly appeared port in the Tools/Serial Port menu

If this all works then you should be all good to go. Next open one of the demos - "SunnyDay" is as good as any - try uploading it!

BiggusD

Post by BiggusD » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 am

Hi ,
Thanks for all your help guys, Finally got it going!,i followed hampsters' step by step debug ( good job mate), and realised i didnt have the cube4 files installed in the right place, and also i was running it as a leostick( which i thought was right before reading hampsters post, the instructions led me in this direction a little!).
Anyway, all is good now, & all example sketches work correctly.
Thanks to you smart fellows. You guys definitely dont have any blood supply diversion problems like me! ..(just kidding)
Cheers.

hamster

Post by hamster » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:17 am

Great news!

Don't be too hard on yourself - when starting out it is very easy to hit a brick wall because of a little error/oversight. It is very common for instructions to be about how to do things when everything works correctly, not how to fix things when they are broken....

BiggusD

Post by BiggusD » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 am

Hi,
Yes, thats quite true about instructions.
Thanks again for your help guys, im going to try a few projects with arduino so i might be calling back in to get bailed out again!
Cheers.

vero96

Post by vero96 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for their help, I too followed hamster's instructions seems my libraries are a bit of a mess, that and the paths. When I transferred all my old examples/sketchbook material, I did so from a win 7 PC to a win 8 PC - using a Belkin transfer cable basically everything on the old pc to the new one. Then downloaded the IDE again 1.0.5 to the win 8 PC however the IDE ended up on a different path. Long story short after reading hamsters original reply I followed the first few steps plugged the Cube4 in and what do ya know it worked. Still I spent countless hours trying to resolve this issue and I'm not quite sure if my assumption is correct, so I will take angus's advice and post the verbose output to http://www.pastebin.com as soon as I can, if anyone's interested in looking at it, because it may help others avoid the mistake/s I made. One minute it was working fine the next - nothing........and that's the part that just does not make much sense.
Any way it's doing it's thing so that what matters.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks hamster for posting those excellent diagnosis steps. Glad you both got it working, vero96 and BD.

FWIW you can program the Cube as either a Leonardo or a LeoStick V2, it will work either way.

vero96

Post by vero96 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:47 am

Hi, Guys and Girls angus suggested I post the verbose output of the Cube4
so here is the output while "sunny day" compiles"

http://pastebin.com/Jzh2xDEE

and here is the verbose output during upload

http://pastebin.com/iJbJBcjH

Hope this helps answer a previously asked question, I realize it has taken some time for me to get around to doing this.

Cheers, vero