Not overly impressed with the Eleven so far

The Experimenters Kit includes an "Eleven" Arduino-compatible board, plus a range of parts and a guide to make it easy to get started with Arduino projects. [Product Page]
gdhnewby

Not overly impressed with the Eleven so far

Post by gdhnewby » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:03 am

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that the so called ease of use for the Freetronics Eleven board, is not as easy as implied.
I have tried most of the projects in the starter kit, which I had purchased for my 8 year old son, as he was very interested in the videos on YouTube.
He was actually hoping to build a model race car track, & use the Eleven to control certain actions.
Even after re writing the codes as listed in the project book a number of times, only to have them come up as errors, has disappointed both me and my son.
Might have a look at the Raspberry Pi boards. Most of the people I have spoken to seem to have had similar issues in the "ease of use".

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Not overly impressed with the Eleven so far

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Hello
We're sorry to hear you're not getting the most out of your EXP kit. However what exactly were you having problems with? Was it the examples in the EXP guide, or a project that you are creating on your own?
cheers
Joohn

gdhnewby

Post by gdhnewby » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:16 pm

the most recent problem has been when I try to upload the program to the Eleven, after a few moments, I get an error of stk500_getsync() appears.
I have copied the code from the project booklet word for word, line for line, & still nothing happens.
This is annoying as I had previously been able to complete the project using the 8 led's & adjusting the operation of it was hours of fun for my 8 year old.
I have been extremely careful not to re-position any of the wiring etc, whilst powered up.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 am

gdhnewby wrote:the most recent problem has been when I try to upload the program to the Eleven, after a few moments, I get an error of stk500_getsync() appears.
I have copied the code from the project booklet word for word, line for line, & still nothing happens.
This is annoying as I had previously been able to complete the project using the 8 led's & adjusting the operation of it was hours of fun for my 8 year old.
I have been extremely careful not to re-position any of the wiring etc, whilst powered up.
OK, if you remove all the wires from the Eleven, and just connect it to the computer via the USB cable - can you successfully upload a sketch?

gdhnewby

Post by gdhnewby » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 pm

No.
still getting the same message appearing on screen & it seems to be taking a long time to load.
When I first used this, it took a matter of seconds. Now it takes around 3 -5 minutes, only to return the same error message

gdhnewby

Post by gdhnewby » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 am

Can I simply get this board replaced, as I have checked a number of websites & forums, including this one, that have mentioned that there were some issues with some of these boards.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:07 am

gdhnewby wrote:Can I simply get this board replaced, as I have checked a number of websites & forums, including this one, that have mentioned that there were some issues with some of these boards.
Sure, email support@freetronics.com