Some questions about resistors

The Experimenters Kit includes an "Eleven" Arduino-compatible board, plus a range of parts and a guide to make it easy to get started with Arduino projects. [Product Page]
Unclebeavz

Some questions about resistors

Post by Unclebeavz » Sun May 25, 2014 8:55 am

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the arduino game and have been following the lab guides wich are really well written but i have one question about resistors, why do you put the resistors on the ground behind the flow? shouldent they be infront on the positive end?

If someone could explain how it works being on the ground behind the flow it would be very helpful as i wouldn't have though ground would need resisting if it returns to 0v anyways?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Some questions about resistors

Post by angusgr » Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 am

Hi Uncle,

Do you have a link to a diagram showing the kind of resistor placement you're talking about? Resistors can go in different parts of the circuit depending on the job they're required to do, they're very versatile!

- Angus

Unclebeavz

Post by Unclebeavz » Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 am

Hey =)

Link to the Lab guides are here, http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/8 ... 4.pdf?1121

In the first few labs the resistors are all behind the flow of current i think, (im a noob so correct me please).

Any help getting my head around it would be greatly appreciated.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Uncle,

These resistors in the first few Experimenter's Kit projects are used "in series" with an LED. This means current flows from the pin, through the LED, then through the resistor, and finally to ground.

The resistor reduces the flow of current through the circuit, but it doesn't matter which side of the LED you place it - it will reduces the current through the entire circuit the same no matter where you put it, as long as it is somewhere in the path between the pin and ground.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it helps to think of the resistor like an adjustable valve in a water pipe. It doesn't matter where in the pipeline you put the valve, it will slow the flow of water in the pipeline the same.

- Angus

Unclebeavz

Post by Unclebeavz » Sat May 31, 2014 12:56 pm

:D

Thanks, that helps alot as iv finished the guide and now onto sparks fun kit where its not explained either and they have resistors in front, your explanation is very helpfull! so thanks mate.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Just a quick addendum - if you've finished the EXP Guide you will very much enjoy a book we have called "Arduino Workshop"
http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... o-workshop