Standalone breadboard - ATMega328P

The Experimenters Kit includes an "Eleven" Arduino-compatible board, plus a range of parts and a guide to make it easy to get started with Arduino projects. [Product Page]
MildTurkey

Standalone breadboard - ATMega328P

Post by MildTurkey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi,

Let me start by apologising if this is in the wrong area - I wasn't sure where to post this. I am quite new to arduino but have started with an experimenter's kit and am currently trying to move my sketch to a standalone breadboard. I have followed several tutorials from the arduino site (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone) but just can't seem to make any sketches work (just basic blink sketches - nothing fancy).

I am using the Freetronics ATmega328P with pre-burned bootloader (uno) -
http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... bootloader.

I have been putting the new chip into my arduino eleven and uploading the sketch then putting the chip back into the breadboard, but I'm just not seeing any blinking leds.

Can anyone suggest any common newbie mistake I may have made or step I have missed?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Standalone breadboard - ATMega328P

Post by andrew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:12 am

How does your circuit look?
This is an absolutely minimal breadboard Arduino circuit:

(Ignore the ATmega168 - it should say 328... it was a rush job).

X1 can either be a 3-pin resonator or a 16 MHz crystal and two 22 pF ceramic capacitors.

Then if you have an LED, you can test the typical Arduino example blink sketch by connecting a 560 ohm resistor between pin 19 on the microcontroller and the LED anode, then the LED cathode to GND.

I've almost finished writing a tutorial on that very topic, when it's finished I'll let you know here.

MildTurkey

Post by MildTurkey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:17 am

One thing I forgot to mention - when I put the ATMega328P with the loaded sketch back into my Arduino Eleven board, the blink sketch works perfectly, it's just in the breadboard I'm not getting the blinking LEDs. I've triple-checked my wiring and connections and can't see anything obvious I missed (but at this stage I will be happy to be proved wrong). Does anyone have any experience with this chip on a breadboard - have a missed a step like burning the bootloader (I assumed I don't have to do this step) or anything else I need to do when moving this chip to a breadboard?

Thanks for the circuit above - I'll re-wire my breadboard to look like that and let you know if it makes any difference. I appreciate the assistance!

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 am

MildTurkey wrote:One thing I forgot to mention - when I put the ATMega328P with the loaded sketch back into my Arduino Eleven board, the blink sketch works perfectly, it's just in the breadboard I'm not getting the blinking LEDs. I've triple-checked my wiring and connections and can't see anything obvious I missed (but at this stage I will be happy to be proved wrong). Does anyone have any experience with this chip on a breadboard - have a missed a step like burning the bootloader (I assumed I don't have to do this step) or anything else I need to do when moving this chip to a breadboard?

Thanks for the circuit above - I'll re-wire my breadboard to look like that and let you know if it makes any difference. I appreciate the assistance!
You don't need to burn any bootloader - it's on the chip when you bought it.
Here's the latest revision of the new breadboard Arduino tutorial --

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/tutori ... rd-arduino

MildTurkey

Post by MildTurkey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:29 am

Wow! I had so hoped I was just making a rookie mistake and with your help I found it. In step 5 you connected the top and bottom centre 5V and ground rails of the breadboard - I had not realised the rails were not continuous so had not connected them.

Thank-you so much for this tutorial, it has put me back on track and I will continue to learn and tinker.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:05 am

MildTurkey wrote:Wow! I had so hoped I was just making a rookie mistake and with your help I found it. In step 5 you connected the top and bottom centre 5V and ground rails of the breadboard - I had not realised the rails were not continuous so had not connected them.

Thank-you so much for this tutorial, it has put me back on track and I will continue to learn and tinker.
Great news :) It's always the little things that drive us nuts.
Have fun
John