Arduino kit is cool, what's up with Jaycar?

The Experimenters Kit includes an "Eleven" Arduino-compatible board, plus a range of parts and a guide to make it easy to get started with Arduino projects. [Product Page]
christo

Arduino kit is cool, what's up with Jaycar?

Post by christo » Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am

Hi, just got my Freetronics experimenter's kit from Jaycar in Sydney (even though the guy in the store tried his best to discourage me from buying one).

It seems like Jaycar really doesn't like the products. The Arduino stuff they have (all Freetronics) is behind the counter and not visible. You can't tell what they have in stock and they're not really willing to tell you "Mate, just look on the web site". But then they have a HUGE wall of circuit kits like they've been selling for decades with 10 kinds of amplifier, battery tester and don't forget the cricket chirping kit! Many of which are more expensive than an Arduino.

Arduino (and the other microcontroller and tiny systems) are so cool - they are on fire these days, they seem really popular and with all the Make stuff all over youtube it seems like Jaycar are really missing the boat. They are one of the last electronics retail shops and they're not interested in the coolest stuff?

Perhaps this is just my perception?

monkymoo19

Re: Arduino kit is cool, what's up with Jaycar?

Post by monkymoo19 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:33 pm

The Jaycar shop in Ipswich are all for freetronics and couldn't stop trying to sell me every module and shield they had when I bought my kit a week ago, it must just be the attitude of the one store not just a blanket Jaycar problem.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm

monkymoo19 wrote:The Jaycar shop in Ipswich are all for freetronics and couldn't stop trying to sell me every module and shield they had when I bought my kit a week ago, it must just be the attitude of the one store not just a blanket Jaycar problem.
That's good news. We hope you enjoy the kit. The user manual has been updated, you can download the latest version:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/8 ... ide1.4.pdf

DaveMark

Post by DaveMark » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 am

I have no major issue with Jaycar in Melbourne.

Gadget12

Post by Gadget12 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 am

Your observation is interesting - my 'local' Jaycar in Tweed Heads (NSW) has theirs on display IN the shop, readily peruseable, as you'd expect. However, I just went to Jaycar in Geelong (Vic) and experienced exactly as Christo portayed below! After wandering the shop for a while (near the below mentioned kits!), I approched the salesperson behind the counter to discover all the Freetronics-Arduino stuff were too far behind the counter for me to be able to read the labels. The salesman's solution was to offer me the catalogue. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't really SELL the product. I went in willing to buy $more than just the headers I went in for - I walked out with only the $3.50 headers...

[quote="christo"]It seems like Jaycar really doesn't like the products. The Arduino stuff they have (all Freetronics) is behind the counter and not visible. You can't tell what they have in stock and they're not really willing to tell you "Mate, just look on the web site". But then they have a HUGE wall of circuit kits like they've been selling for decades with 10 kinds of amplifier, battery tester and don't forget the cricket chirping kit! Many of which are more expensive than an Arduino.

DaveMark

Post by DaveMark » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:24 am

I still don't have any issue with Jaycar Melbourne CBD store, was there recently, and as far as I was concerned all Freetronic items were clearly displayed & accessible, and staff are very friendly and helpful.
Gadget12 wrote:
christo wrote:...don't forget the cricket chirping kit!
How could I? Years ago I built one :D

DaveMark

Post by DaveMark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

hnoor0066 wrote:they seem really popular and with all the Make stuff all over youtube it seems like Jaycar are really missing the boat. They are one of the last electronics retail shops and they're not interested in the coolest stuff??
They had a BIG presence at http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Eastern ... 228941390/