Experimenters Kit coming soon

The Experimenters Kit includes an "Eleven" Arduino-compatible board, plus a range of parts and a guide to make it easy to get started with Arduino projects. [Product Page]
jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Experimenters Kit coming soon

Post by jonoxer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 am

There's nothing to see here yet, folks, just creating the forum topic in preparation. In the meantime, here's a teaser of the printed guide that's included in the kits:
expkit-guide2.jpeg
expkit-guide.jpeg
--
Jon

bwooce

Re: Experimenters Kit coming soon

Post by bwooce » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Well, that and the Jaycar catalogue...

Look forward to it. I'm assembling photos and code of my portable soccer scoreboard project, so I'll post that soon too (3x DMDs)

dave

Post by dave » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am

Hi Jon,

Do you have an expected release date yet? One of the guys at work has been asking me about the sparkfun inventors kit that got me started, and I would love to give him a local alternative.

Cheers

Dave

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 am

Release date is ... so close I could nearly hold my breath until then. Well, not quite, but this should give some idea how close they are:
expkit-sneak-preview.jpeg
That's an actual production package from the first batch being put together, not just a one-off mock-up. There's another 999 just like it, and they'll be in stores and listed on our site within days.

What you can't see from the pic is that there's also a project guide inserted in the back, to help people get started with their first Arduino experiments. We're hoping this'll be a great pack to give someone for Christmas or a birthday to get their first taste of Arduino.
--
Jon

bwooce

Post by bwooce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:29 am

It's live on the Jaycar website! http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4262

I'll give it a few days before collecting one for my son though, to ensure they have stock :-)

Sizzln

Post by Sizzln » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Got mine today. :)

tronixstuff
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by tronixstuff » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 am

Sizzln wrote:Got mine today. :)
How do you find it? Do you like the instruction guide?

mahkral

Post by mahkral » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 am

Hi,

I have just purchased (today. 15/03/2013) the experimenters kit and, seem to have found a glitch in the coding of project 2, example 2.

I am relatively new to writing and understanding code. (I really am a newby and starting from scratch so please forgive me if I am wrong) but I found that when the coding was changed/rewritten to simplefy the loop? from an int count of 8 to 14. I found that the LED's would light up from pin 6 through to 13 from right to left on the breadboard but on the way back it would skip pin(LED) 7 jumping from 8 to 6, but functioned normally going up once more???

Now, consiously, I know nothing of electronics or code writing, so I copied and pasted the code from your website just to be sure and the same issue occured every time.

Things like this tend to bug me and so I fiddled with the code and tried a few things... at times, all LEDs lit up simultaneously, sometimes they didnt scroll at all and sometimes it just stayed on 1 LED lit up.

Eventually I got it to function as I would have expected and I did this by making the following change to the code...

int ledCount = 15;
int ledPins[] = { 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 };

FYI the same problem occurs in project 3 and was fixed with the same adjustments

Could you please help me understand what I have done and why this is so.
I'd appreciate any and all feedback

Cheers

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 am

mahkral wrote:Hi,

I have just purchased (today. 15/03/2013) the experimenters kit and, seem to have found a glitch in the coding of project 2, example 2.

I am relatively new to writing and understanding code. (I really am a newby and starting from scratch so please forgive me if I am wrong) but I found that when the coding was changed/rewritten to simplefy the loop? from an int count of 8 to 14. I found that the LED's would light up from pin 6 through to 13 from right to left on the breadboard but on the way back it would skip pin(LED) 7 jumping from 8 to 6, but functioned normally going up once more???

Now, consiously, I know nothing of electronics or code writing, so I copied and pasted the code from your website just to be sure and the same issue occured every time.

Things like this tend to bug me and so I fiddled with the code and tried a few things... at times, all LEDs lit up simultaneously, sometimes they didnt scroll at all and sometimes it just stayed on 1 LED lit up.

Eventually I got it to function as I would have expected and I did this by making the following change to the code...

int ledCount = 15;
int ledPins[] = { 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 };

FYI the same problem occurs in project 3 and was fixed with the same adjustments

Could you please help me understand what I have done and why this is so.
I'd appreciate any and all feedback

Cheers
Hello

I know that i'm responding to an old post but I have also just purchased the experimenters kit and have had the same problem with project 2 example 2. It will count up normally but will skip pin 7 when counting back down. After fiddling with the code the problem was fixed by either setting: int ledCount = 15; or changing ledCount-1 to ledCount+0 eg:
for (int thisLed = 0; thisLed < ledCount-1; thisLed++)

for (int thisLed = 0; thisLed < ledCount+0; thisLed++)

I too am new to this kinda stuff and appreciate any feedback on this as well.
Thanks

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 am

Hi mahkral,

Thanks for posting. The "ledCount = 15" approach is probably a better one.

However, we actually have a newer electronic version (1.4) of the Guide that should fix the mistake entirely. You can download it as a PDF from the "Resources" section of the Experimenter's Kit web page: http://www.freetronics.com/products/exp ... or-arduino

Please let us know if it still isn't behaving for you.

- Angus